kawasaki KDX/KX interchangeability

Hey guys, I am looking at buying a KDX 250. I'm not sure what year exactly because owner said it was 1985 but it has a front disc brake which the 85 did not have so I assume it's a little newer...

is there a newer KDX 250 motor that is a bit better that can be swapped directly in? I like the sound of the motor in the 93' KDX 250

Would it be better to swap in a KX 250 motor? 

And would the plastics of a KX fit?

Hey guys, I am looking at buying a KDX 250. I'm not sure what year exactly because owner said it was 1985 but it has a front disc brake which the 85 did not have so I assume it's a little newer...
is there a newer KDX 250 motor that is a bit better that can be swapped directly in? I like the sound of the motor in the 93' KDX 250

The KDX only came with a 200 and 220 cc engine as far as I know? Might be worth looking into this further to check you are getting what you think you are!
  • Like 1

I believe the KDX250 was dropped after 1985 and returned in 1991 till it was discontinued. 1991 and on versions had a detuned version of the 89-90 KX250 motor. The cylinder and ignition/flywheel (or entire engine) from those years of KX's will pump up the power output.

Late model plastic won't fit.
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 3:51 PM, jamesw9404 said:

The KDX only came with a 200 and 220 cc engine as far as I know? Might be worth looking into this further to check you are getting what you think you are!

In years past they had them in a variety of sizes,   80, 175, 200,  220,   250,  even a 420.  

I borrowed and rode a KDX250 in 1988.  It was a fairly new bike and went like stink.  It was the best enduro bike I had ridden at that point in my life.