Xtrainer Display Fogging

Sure I read something about display fogging up in rain or damp conditions but doing this on phone and search seems limited.

At any rate my '16 Xtrainer spent 3 days in light misty rain 2 weeks ago and the display fogged from condensation.  And as the weather here remains less than desert-like it hasn't yet resolved in my unheated shop.  Seems to still work but it's annoying and can't be good for the electronics.   Is there a fix for this?  Thanks.  -Scott 

No fix, but you can remove the condensation using a blow dryer. Do NOT use a heat gun!

There are people who in the past have shrink-wraped their electronics with a FoodSaver or similar, but you have to change the plastic every 6 mo or so.

• Like 1

"No fix, but you can remove the condensation using a blow dryer"

Well that kind of sucks.  I was hoping there was maybe a way to grease the seals or something.  I haven't yet removed from the bike but from your reply it sounds like it's a "sealed" (or "supposed to be sealed") unit.  Hard to believe the instrument display unit wouldn't be more weather proof on an off-road bike.

Back on the real computer now so maybe I can google up some suggestions to at least minimize the problem.  Thanks.  -Scott

Edited by wsjones

A year ago the display on my brand new 2016 flooded the first time I washed the bike in the driveway with a garden hose.  I complained to my dealer and they sent me a new display (and never asked for the original in return.)  While waiting for the new one to arrive I did have some luck in removing moisture from the original display by placing it in a jar of uncooked white rice for a week or so.  The rice acted as a desiccant to absorb the trapped moisture that eventually evaporates from the display.

I've put a plastic baggie over the new one before washing the bike ever since.