need help with 86 xl600r

I have a 86 xl600r, ran fine until about a year ago then on the way home from work it started having a major problem. If I give it more than half throttle is starts cutting out, I took it to the only guy around this area and bike just sat there about 7 months. He looked at my oil and saw copper flakes and determined that I would need a new crank. Then told me it would be a few months before he could get to it. So I have brought it Home. My question is would the crank cuase it to cut out if I give it more than half throttle??

The flakes are from the thrust washers on the sides of the big end of the rod. DO NOT run the motor any more. The debris will go thru the entire motor and do more damage. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vipr-1911 said:

I have a 86 xl600r, ran fine until about a year ago then on the way home from work it started having a major problem. If I give it more than half throttle is starts cutting out, I took it to the only guy around this area and bike just sat there about 7 months. He looked at my oil and saw copper flakes and determined that I would need a new crank. Then told me it would be a few months before he could get to it. So I have brought it Home. My question is would the crank cuase it to cut out if I give it more than half throttle??

If the crank needs replaced would I need to rebuild the entire motor? And how hard would it be nobody around here wants to work on old bikes so I figure I will have to do it myself. Were would I go to get a rebuild Kit?? Any Help would be appreciated. Have very limited knowledge about working on motor cycles.

XRs Only does engine rebuilds, I think.  There's also a popular guy on ADV who's a guru.  

I'd never want to deter someone from wrenching, but this would not be a good project for someone new to bikes.  You may find the cost of an extensive engine rebuild to be more than the bike is worth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heart_of_darkness said:

XRs Only does engine rebuilds, I think.  There's also a popular guy on ADV who's a guru.  

I'd never want to deter someone from wrenching, but this would not be a good project for someone new to bikes.  You may find the cost of an extensive engine rebuild to be more than the bike is worth.

Thanks for the info, I think I have already put 1,100 into this bike. It apparently had a hard life before I picked it up. I will check out ADV.

Copper in the oil is a crank eating itself I think. As for the cut out, I have an 87 XR600 that did that at 1/4 throttle or so. Thought it was a carb issue until I jetted and rejetted to no avail and kept checking the plug. I had lots of burning on the plug and decided to check the spark and it was WEAK. The spark was being blown out. I had a weak stator (30 years old and original to the bike) so I got a new one, same issue but slightly more spark, new CDI (old one also 30 years old) thanks to Ricks Motorsports Electronics (I live in the town Rick's is located in) and the pig is alive again. Hope that helps. I would test out the ignition system, CDI for XL/XR of the mid 80s are only $62, $15 for a coil, etc. Hope that helps.