NORCS Team Tortoise Transponder location

I can't stand having my transponder taped to my number plate.  They say to just tape it to the number plate...I can't imagine that 1/8" of plastic would mask the transponder.

Does anybody tape their transponder behind their number plate?  Is this okay to do?  Have you had any issues with scoring?

Thanks,

Doug

Better reads are attained when the transponder is unobstructed and orientated horizontally. Putting the transponder behind the number plate weakens the signal.

Putting them under a visor does the same thing. Also if a person has a carbon fiber visor or a chrome type metallic finish on their visor it will absorb (carbon fiber) or scatter (metallic) the RFID signal and no readable signal will be sent back to the antenna.

So if you choose to put the transponders in those locations I wouldn't get to upset if you get a miss-read

• Like 1

I ran 3 races last year with it on the underside of the number plate. No miss reads. I noticed a lot of guys do this. I kept mine to the very outside of the plate along the edge don't know if that helps.

5 hours ago, shotgunscott said:

Better reads are attained when the transponder is unobstructed and orientated horizontally. Putting the transponder behind the number plate weakens the signal.

Putting them under a visor does the same thing. Also if a person has a carbon fiber visor or a chrome type metallic finish on their visor it will absorb (carbon fiber) or scatter (metallic) the RFID signal and no readable signal will be sent back to the antenna.

So if you choose to put the transponders in those locations I wouldn't get to upset if you get a miss-read

I would assume that it's fine to place the transponder under a set of pre-printed graphics?  If it's okay to tape over then vinyl graphics shouldn't be a problem right?