Surge tank

Good day everyone.

I bought a surge tank for my 450 XC-W.  I bought a 2007 WR450 surge tank like another member here on the board who mounted it underneath the seat on the left side.  I was looking at that location and did not like the amount of plastic that needed to be trimmed to fit it.  So I remember from my automotive side that your surge tank should be the highest point of your cooling system and was thinking why were we mounting them so low like a lot of other solutions out there.  I started looking around the bike and behind the number plate up on the triple trees was probably the best place.  That way it is the highest and whatever ends up in there as the bike is cooling down will just flow back into the radiator.  I will take some pics tomorrow and post them up and try the setup out on Sunday.   The previous owner said it never overheated but I plan on some tight single track so we will see. 

Thoughts?

You can try it, when I first got my bike, there were people installing coolant recovery setups, but I'd prefer not to have it, if not really needed.  my find once fueling and exhaust flow is addressed , and running coolant capable of 260 degrees, I didnt see a need . I check my coolant every few months, bike ridden multiple times per week, never loses coolant. Also blocking air flow with rad guards aren't going to aide or large tank for that matter, those may actually create a need.

its possible to boil a rad, but its going to take some extreme situations or creating those situations , address those issues mentioned, and the need may not be there.

I agree on fixing the jetting and not blocking the rads which was done on this bike already since the owner rode it in AZ. I would rather leave some power on the table and have the bike run cooler.  I was just referencing the setup of where the surge tank should be if someone had one. 

Why would the bike run cooler?

The way it works, the rad is full, as the bike warms coolant is exhaled from the rad to a normal working level. Once the motor is shut down, and the rad cools, its able to suck the recovery bottle, back to fill the rad.

It wont run any cooler

The issue would be if the bike is not holding a workable coolant level as a norm( and you need to add frequently), then the coolant recovery system would of value.

try coolant recovery system or turkey basters in your search

Edited by Spud786

I think we are missing each other.  I do not think the bike would run cooler.  That comment was about the jetting making the bike run cooler.

• Like 1

Gothcha, yeah that will aide although the XCW has a richer map, Ive not worked with it to know if any lean areas ( although I hear there are) being Green sticker, There is an FMF map which is richer.

• Like 1