stroker Please help!!! stroker/big bore kit problem

Hello All
I am in serious despair!, I have been waiting 6months to repair my crf450r 2012 after the big end breaking.
I bought second hand left and right crankcases (from a 2012) and a hotrods stroker/cylinder works big bore kit from a eBay seller.
this kit is advertised as bolt on!, after installation the piston locks just before TDC, after inspection I was shocked to see the the piston raises about 1mm above the cylinder ??? WTF!. I have searched the internet and found no other issues of this sort, I checked the boxes and they all say for a 2009-2012, the kit did have 2 base gaskets and 2 head gaskets  :-k .
any help would be much appreciated as the seller does not respond and I have no idea what I should do.
thanks in advance, Lee

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

I just did some checking and it looks like all your part numbers are correct.

Just a few things off the top of my head that you could check:

-Check actual part numbers on the parts, make sure incorrect part wasn't placed in correct box

-Are you sure the piston is hitting something? Could you have assembled something incorrect within the cases/side cases? I wonder if you could do something like coat the piston head with machinist dye to see if it actually hits and if so what(don't do this without first checking with someone more knowledgeable than me).

-Call hotrods 515-402-8100

-Call Cylinder Works(apparently owned by Hotrods) 515-251-4070

-Make certain the cases you got are from a 2012

15 hours ago, Sternzy said:

I just did some checking and it looks like all your part numbers are correct.

Just a few things off the top of my head that you could check:

-Check actual part numbers on the parts, make sure incorrect part wasn't placed in correct box

-Are you sure the piston is hitting something? Could you have assembled something incorrect within the cases/side cases? I wonder if you could do something like coat the piston head with machinist dye to see if it actually hits and if so what(don't do this without first checking with someone more knowledgeable than me).

-Call hotrods 515-402-8100

-Call Cylinder Works (apparently owned by Hotrods) 515-251-4070

-Make certain the cases you got are from a 2012

Hi Sternzy, thanks for taking the time, it is defiantly piston clearance that prevents full engine cycle, with only piston base gasket and cylinder on the piston is just over 1mm higher than cylinder top (this would be more when assembled and torque'd) (as far as I can test the head gasket compresses to just under 1mm).

When assembled im guessing we are talking about 0.5mm to high

I have done further research on the parts, :- 

1. Engine cases Pe05e 2909948, its a 2011 or 2012, either should still be ok as the kit fits 2009-2012

2. Cylinder has same height as stock. 

3. vertex piston 2353b, and numbers on piston match box.

the only possibility in my opinion is the crank (unlikely I think, if it was the wrong one it wouldn't be so......almost!?)

or the gaskets, original base gasket was metal, new one is paper.

old and new head gasket seem to have same thickness.

im very tempted to install both paper and metal base gasket as this might solve it but.........im scared :naughty:

I live in France and to return the crank need to dismantle again and send back to states :banghead:

Edited by daffy101

Perhaps, but a bad design, the kit demands the use of stacked base and/or head gaskets to gain the required clearance, hence the multiple gaskets. Did you read the installation instructions fully?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daffy101 said:

Hi Sternzy, thanks for taking the time, it is defiantly piston clearance that prevents full engine cycle, with only piston base gasket and cylinder on the piston is just over 1mm higher than cylinder top (this would be more when assembled and torque'd) (as far as I can test the head gasket compresses to just under 1mm).

When assembled im guessing we are talking about 0.5mm to high

I have done further research on the parts, :- 

1. Engine cases Pe05e 2909948, its a 2011 or 2012, either should still be ok as the kit fits 2009-2012

2. Cylinder has same height as stock. 

3. vertex piston 2353b, and numbers on piston match box.

the only possibility in my opinion is the crank (unlikely I think, if it was the wrong one it wouldn't be so......almost!?)

or the gaskets, original base gasket was metal, new one is paper.

old and new head gasket seem to have same thickness.

im very tempted to install both paper and metal base gasket as this might solve it but.........im scared :naughty:

I live in France and to return the crank need to dismantle again and send back to states :banghead:

Don't use the paper gasket 

it'll leak after few hours 

this kits are shit 

i had to replace few seals after 20 of running time 

I would measure the rod on the crank maybe it too long