TT350 HEADERS

Bit of progress ,had to cut the ends that fit in the head off as they are 42 mm diameter verses 39.5mmfor the tt350
20170331_121242.jpg

Machined up some new flanges out of stainless ,did some dummy fitting to see how it would go together,had to use the 600 clamps due to the pipe size hence the stepped flange ,the only modd to the clamp was to slot the holes a tad towards the pipe ,had to cut the larger single pipe in order to clear the frame ,I used a peice of an old set of headers and grafted it into the 600 pipe so it would fit the stock mounting point and use the stock muffler or after market one without any fitment issues,this should fit the xt as well

20170331_162644.jpg

Have now pulled the head and cylinder off ,found a loose head bolt and one of those studs had loosend, was just starting to blow smoke when getting on the gas,looks like it was getting past the base oring and was weeping out the top of the liner ,head gasket looked real ordinary ary like it had been used before???,bore mic'd out real good with only .0005 though wear
,spent some time cleaning and matching the ports ,just waiting on parts now,just some random pics ,will wait till I have the piston in before milling any of the head20170417_122616.jpg20170416_151726.jpg20170416_154108.jpg20170417_122519.jpg

I've never had a 350 , went from old DT250 ,TS250 then up to the 600/650's (DR , XT , XL, & KLR). Jumped right past the middleweight's , well except now I do have a DRZ400 .

A buddy had a Warrior 350 with the same motor , beat the crap out of it , did very little maintenance , put a million miles on it and it still was running fine when sold.

• Like 1

Good size engine with easy to handle characteristics, this is my second one ,had one new in 1989,great bike ,done the yz ,cr thing ,no regrets for sure but had to get another one of these for putting round,I did some work to my original bike and was more than impressed so this one was always gonna get worked on when the time come,I'll throw some more pics up as I progress ,nothing like shiny pics ,who knows some of the xt guys might see it and get inspired

I almost always use Wiseco pistons , just have good luck with them . One thing I do is bore the cylinder a bit tighter than what they spec , I go for .0025" to .0028" rather than the .003"- .004" they spec out . However for at least the first 2-3k miles remember to let it warm up a little longer before doing any hammering on it just to make sure it doesn't seize . I do it because they run quieter with less piston noise that's common with forged pistons and the extra thousanths clearance .  I have a 11.5:1 short skirt piston in my e start XT600 along with the small cc chamber head , she's a beast , no standard battery would turn it over to start so had to run a LiFe PO4 . So far @ 3k miles it's holding up .

I'm getting all my piston skirts coated now to help with keeping them quiet .

• Like 1

Bit more ,got the bottom end done,finished the head ,machined up nicely in the lathe ,buttoned it up ready for next week.20170516_135300.jpg20170516_145348.jpg20170516_111443.jpg

• Like 1

If you could have gone +1mm on the valves to go along with the 600 header she would really wake up . These motors are so understressed that there is a lot of room for "improvement" while keeping reliability . My 600 with 12.5:1 + compression is attesting to how much they can take , it's still my main one that starts guarantee .

• Like 1

I appreciate the pics and info chrisso and as always the great info from jjktmrider. It's defenitely somel inspiration and help as I work on my 89 xt600. I want to clean up my whole exhaust system due to age and some rust issues, especially where the header mounts to the motor, lots of rust on those anchor bolts and such. I was able to get those cleaned up pretty well including the rust on the header itself, but since I have everything removed i figure why not repaint. The process I've read is essentially sand, prime, paint. Its all obviously stock aside from the muffler. Just wondering if you guys had any special reccomendations or tips for me. First timer with all of this stuff so any information is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

I appreciate the pics and info chrisso and as always the great info from jjktmrider. It's defenitely somel inspiration and help as I work on my 89 xt600. I want to clean up my whole exhaust system due to age and some rust issues, especially where the header mounts to the motor, lots of rust on those anchor bolts and such. I was able to get those cleaned up pretty well including the rust on the header itself, but since I have everything removed i figure why not repaint. The process I've read is essentially sand, prime, paint. Its all obviously stock aside from the muffler. Just wondering if you guys had any special reccomendations or tips for me. First timer with all of this stuff so any information is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I make sure it's cleaned as you mentioned and then apply VHT high temp header paint ,heard some guys using stove black for similar results,it's supposed to be better wearing
  • Like 1

The absolute best thing is to sandblast the headers and then one of several high temp paints . Those that recommend curing of some sort usually last the best . I have a ceramic for my powdercoating setup that require 700ºf curing . It looked great but since my sandblaster wasn't the best quality rust has come through from below as usual so just painting every 8 to 12 months will work as well.

• Like 2