Help me make my free dzr400 a 80/20 offroad beast

I got a free drz400 so instead of taking a loan out I wanna beef this up I'm super heavy like 290 I'm still dropping weight but I got 3000 $budget also should be noted this is my first enduro dirt bike i mostly want offroad ability any help or advice is helpful thank you

Have the suspension setup for your weight.

After you have the suspension valved, freshen up all the wear items like chassis bearings, chain/ sprockets, tires, ect, I would invest in some motor mods. Big bore, exhaust system, FCR(if you have an S) will pull you easily. If you want to go whole hog wild you could rebuild the entire motor and add a stroker crank and cams.

• Like 2

I would suggest after suspension, spend a few bucks on protection for both the bike and you: hand guards, bash plate, side covers, etc, then for you ATGATT.  

I am convinced a compression jacket and motocross boots kept me from my breaking a collar bone and leg in the same get off at slickrock.  Sandstone does not give, at all!

• Like 4

www.highwaydirtbikes.com Hand Guards, they are the bee's knee's in hand/lever protection and with built in mirrors

Here's a shot of them on my old TTR250, these things are rock solid, they never move when dropped

and the mirrors fold away completely when not needed

jpg_00002.jpg

jpg_00003.jpg

Edited by BMSteve
additions
  • Like 1

Suspension for your weight, hand guards, rim locks, kenda trackmaster 2 tires, shorter, less vulnerable tail light assembly/blinkers, good aluminum bars, skid plate, rear brake disc guard, case savers and you will probably have enough budget left for a cylinder works big bore, exhaust and jd jet kit.

Trust me, this recipe will create a heavy but very capable bike.20161007_181454.jpg

• Like 2