Sx85 Making Ting sound when I try to start!

Hi All,

So I pulled out my 2stroke 85 the other day, kicked it over...it started first kick.  After it ran for like 4 seconds it made this semi loud klick sound and immediately died. I kicked it over again expecting it to fire right up but instead, #1 It wouldn't start...(it was trying though) and #2 it sounded like the piston was hitting the head every time it came up!?  Not sure whats going on...Any Ideas? ? (if you need a more descriptive description of the noise etc., just ask)

Thanks in advance,

Slicing Air 

14 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Sounds like a broken ring/ blown piston. 

Really!  I did just do the top end not 10 hrs ago...(on the bike).  I'll rip it apart and let you know what I find.  thanks 

Scored piston...crankshaft is shot...I think the bearings fell out causing the scoring on the side of the piston.  I think (hope?) the cylinder and head are fine.   

Was only the top end repaired or, the bottom end closely inspected for damage as well ?

Thinking your current failure is likely due to the previous one not fully resolved.

Edited by mlatour

Just the top end was done.  Never touched the bottom.  Previous owner said he rebuilt the bottom end about ten hours before I got it.  He never had any proof of it though.

Edited by Slicing-Air

In the right conditions, 1 hours with an improperly installed air filter is plenty to trash the bottom end.

Now's the right occasion to rebuild it top to bottom and have peace of mind for a while.

Edited by mlatour

Irelevant in a 2-stroke,

the crankcase and gearbox do not share the same sump,

the premix lubes the engine side, the gearbox has it's own lubricant.

If not already done, I suggest you get a bike/model/year specific KTM service manual,

even for an experienced mechanic it's a necessity for proper procedures, list of tools, specs, torque specs etc.

Edited by mlatour