Carb to fi bike?

So most likely a new bike is out of the question for me so what are some thoughts on going from carb to fi. My current bike is a 2008 kx250f with a fairly fresh top end, rg3 triples, pro circuit exhaust and water pump, aftermarket radiators and revalved suspension. I would like to ride a 250f for a few years to gain skill before looking like the goober on a 450 that shouldn't be on a 450. Do I save my money and stick with my 08 or is it worth it going to a fi bike because it's that much better?

I would keep riding your 08. If its in good running condition, get more seat time on it over the next few yrs and go from there

I would keep riding your 08. If its in good running condition, get more seat time on it over the next few yrs and go from there

Thanks. It sounds like you don't think the difference between the 2 is big enough to justify spending more money .

Its not IMO, especially If you you yours running like a champ

Well mine seems to be running good now I think lol. I had a 250 2t before so I can feel the lack of power but it's easier to ride for sure lol. But if the extra 6 hp a newer 250f makes isn't to noticeable then your probably right.

It's a big difference. The jetting is always perfect, so there is always instant response. For a guy used to 2 stroke, the extra ponies will be appreciated.

If you don't know anyone with a FI bike that will let you ride it call around to some dealers. The difference will be apparent, even in the parking lot.

It's a big difference. The jetting is always perfect, so there is always instant response. For a guy used to 2 stroke, the extra ponies will be appreciated.

If you don't know anyone with a FI bike that will let you ride it call around to some dealers. The difference will be apparent, even in the parking lot.

Well that's good to know then that you feel I will notice the difference coming from the 250t. All my friends have 450s so I would have to go to a dealer. I do wish the 250fs had the power of the 250t just without the hit that wears you down.

Well that's good to know then that you feel I will notice the difference coming from the 250t. All my friends have 450s so I would have to go to a dealer. I do wish the 250fs had the power of the 250t just without the hit that wears you down.

The KTM250SXF has the HP. It's a lot of money for something you'll only ride less than 40 hours a year.
On the bright side, it will last for many years if you take care of it.

The KTM250SXF has the HP. It's a lot of money for something you'll only ride less than 40 hours a year.
On the bright side, it will last for many years if you take care of it.

You make a valid point but I was reading that the KTM powerband is not for the novice and is more of a pro powerband where that engine is making the hp of a 250 2t but you need to be on the limiter at 14,000 rpm or better yet you need to be a good rider. Motocross action said this about the KTM 250sxf. I do not fall in the pro rider category lol.

I also went from a 2t to a 250f. The power seems very close but in terrain with good traction the smoker takes it in the straights

I also went from a 2t to a 250f. The power seems very close but in terrain with good traction the smoker takes it in the straights

My concerns for more power is I'd like to have that bottom end power for when I don't carry that momentum through a corner for a big jump and maybe that extra 6hp and better throttle response might make that noticeable difference im looking for.

Sounds like you need a 450 lol. Maybe a '12 kx450f, last year of spring forks for the 450. You might be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. Plus its DFI

Sounds like you need a 450 lol. Maybe a '12 kx450f, last year of spring forks for the 450. You might be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. Plus its DFI

Honestly I'm really considering a 450. The 250 is nice that it doesn't feel like it's to much power and I know I would benefit from it for riding by learning how to carry momentum but I'm not young and don't plan on racing. Plus some local tracks are deep sand and loam. Maybe I should just say screw it and ride lazy and have fun lol

Thats whats its all about, ride what makes you happy

My thoughts are if I find the 450 to tiring after a year or so I can always sell it and get a good deal on a newer 250f.