Help me tame my 04 450r

I recently got an 04 450r from a friend at a good price.  It is in excellent condition.  It is by far the most powerful bike I have owned. I have two sons. One is 9 and has a crf70. The other is 12 and has an xr100. Is there a way to de-tune/ tame the bike. I have heard changing the gearing and flywheel. I understand it is a race bike. I am considering a trade for a few other bikes. Looking at some 250's. All the other bikes I have looked at seem too small for me. I'm 6'4" 225. 

Use a larger rear sprocket, put a crf450x muffler or fmf q muffler on it, and look at either a heavy flywheel or better yet a Recluse clutch to soften bottom hit, set all suspension clickers to max soft. However, if you really want to ride with kids get a crf250x or a crf230

4 hours ago, Babywolf said:

Use a larger rear sprocket, put a crf450x muffler or fmf q muffler on it, and look at either a heavy flywheel or better yet a Recluse clutch to soften bottom hit, set all suspension clickers to max soft. However, if you really want to ride with kids get a crf250x or a crf230

Smaller rear sprocket bro*.  Yeah, I agree with the CRF250X or CRF230 idea for now especially with the kids riding those scoots.

I'll be putting a better than new 2012 CRF250X on here then ebay by the end of the month.  0.2 hours on it, lots of trick parts and lots of extras.

* larger is for pulling tree stumps. 

Remember the 450r doesnt cool well going slow. Taming it is one thing but keeping it from boiling over is another, thats the more important issue in my opinion. Trading for more of a trail/enduro/dual sport would likely be very beneficial to you. The 250x or even the 450x are rad bikes.

I just ordered chinese gpi radiators for my 07, I have these same radiators on my 03 cr250 and was very pleased, supposed to have added capacity( they look slightly thicker but still fit ok). Others say here on tt said they helped a lot, I havent experienced a problem myself but havent really put to the test of a hot trail ride.