09 crf450 won't start not getting spark

Hey there my name's Justin and I just recently picked up an 09 crf450. So for a little background I picked the bike up and it wasn't running so I took it to my buddy who's a mechanic and he eventually found that the gas was bad so he out new gas in and got it running. It was running great so he told me to come pick it up the next day. Right before I came to pick it up he says the bike won't start now even though it fired up first kick Everytime the night before. Now checking for spark it's not getting any spark. Its got a new plug and I've checked all connectors can anyone help me out or has anyone had the same problem? Thanks

Are you sure you are getting no spark ? I was having a similar problem with my 09 not starting and I thought, as you do, that I was having no spark. The problem is the spark in this bike, at least when you are doing a spark test, is very tiny. It is nearly impossible to see it in broad daylight. Try again in a dim lit environment.

OK. Now there are all sorts of reasons you are not getting a spark. Starting form the spark plug and going backwards ...

- the spark plug, try with a new one

- the ignition coil, measure it with a multimeter, according to the manual it should read 2.6 - 3.8 ohm between the terminals,

- the ecm, this is a tricky one, the only way to test it is to borrow one from another bike.

- the ckp sensor, this one tells the ecm when to fire the spark, you need a peak voltage adapter to measure this one, but since it is an unlikely culprit we'll leave it out for the moment.

- regulator/capacitor, these two supply a constant 12v power to the ecm and the fuel pump, the easiest way to check you are getting a good 12v power is to unplug the fuel pump and connect a multimeter to the two pins. You should read 12v after you crank the kickstarter a few times.

- the alternator coil, measure the 6pin connector that is somewhere behind the right radiator shroud, it should read 0.1 - 1.0 ohm between yellow and white.

Oh, and disconnect the stop switch before trying any of the above. You never know...

Edited by jnk
typo

Alright man I'll give it a shot and keep you updated thank you. You wouldn't happen to have a good ecm I could try would you? Depending on where your located. I did already test my coil and it read 3.2 and ive tried the unplugging the kill switch trick. Also it has a brand new plug in it as well

9 hours ago, Jsanchez157 said:

Depending on where your located. I did already test my coil and it read 3.2 and ive tried the unplugging the kill switch trick. Also it has a brand new plug in it as well

I am nowhere near California, or the US for that matter, I am in Greece :D

Check if you are getting a 12v supply before going to the ECM. Remove the gas tank (or lift it to the side) disconnect the connector to the fuel pump and connect a multimeter to the harness side. I can't remember if is a male or a female connector. If it is male connector you need to find some clever trick to attach the multimeter without short cirtuiting the pins. Don't short circuit the pins ! You should read 12v after giving the kickstarter a few kicks. The reading should stay at 12v for some time due to the capacitor.

If you are getting 12v then most probably all of the 1) alternator coil 2) regulator 3) capacitor are working fine.