Help! kickstarter frozen 350 excf

So today I was riding and stopped on a hill to rest. I heard two odd clicks when I went to turn my bike back on starter was low on batt so I went to kickstart and the kicker moved about 1 " and froze. It will go up but not back down past the original point of freeze. 

I took my bike apart when I got home. Oil looks good no chips or flakes, and with the camshafts out I can rotate the crank by spinning the wheel in 6th so I don't think the piston froze either. There was an odd amount of upward pressure on the cams though when I removed the camshaft brace on top it was being pushed up by the cams. I reset top dead center by looking through the screw hole used to lock the piston TDC and put everything back. Valves were in spec for clearance but when I went to kick it same thing it froze.

any ideas?

There is a gear in the crankcase that is attached to the other side of the kick starter which (obviously) turns the crankshaft to start the engine.  I have had these strip.  It is possible that this gear is frozen due to debris or it is simply stuck/wedged. Gotta open the case to find out.