Now part of your CRF230F cult!!!

Picked up a lightly used '12 today.  Bone stock, except for IRC tires that were put on with heavy duty tubes prior to sale.  Some too gawdy for me graphics, but otherwise untouched and truly barely ridden.  Bought for a teen girl back in '13 and ridden sparingly over the years.  Now to just get a good shakedown ride, hopefully soon and then begin all the mods that I have learned from you wonderful lunatics.

With that said, thanks for all the info you've shared and I've been able to do research with and for all the upcoming help you'll be stuck giving an old guy who finally saw the light and is heading for the dirt..... so to speak!

• Like 3

It's about time this forum started receiving Cult status recognition!

Your new purchase does not officially count until you post pics, especially of the gawdy graphics.  Are they Hello Kitty?  Brats?  Barbie?  Frozen?

• Like 3

Well, I had only managed to snap one while it was on my trailer and by the time I got home it was a bit too dark.  I live outside of Charleston, SC and went to Wilmington, NC to get it.... so the better part of my day was used.  

That said, here's a glimpse. 

IMG_8888.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the club... 

As a relatively new member I have come to realization that there is not a total cure .... But regular sessions with other lunatics let you know you are not alone :)

22 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Great find

I think so (and hope so).  To be honest, I didn't get to really test ride it, other than around the neighborhood for a few minutes.  Unfortunately, he had previously warmed it up, so I couldn't do a cold start.  I'm sure I'll need to fine tune it somewhat, apart from the obvious mods.  However, I got it at what I feel was a fair price and with the new/better tires. Like any not brand new purchase, I realize I will probably find a few niggles to contend with.  My only fear/thought was "Who buys a used anything on April Fools Day?!?!"

Edited by scridercoach

1 hour ago, RedMesa said:

Thanks...   I have seen this and bookmarked it.  I'm a horrible wrench, but got to do what I gotta do.  Luckily I have a friend who loves to work on CRF's, so with some adult beverage donations, I'll have someone to look over my shoulder and provide guidance.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, mixxer said:

lunatics

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, bajatrailrider said:

nut cases

im not sure what you guys are on about......

Personally I think the opposite, anyone that spends 8K on a bike to go beat it up in the woods, and then can expect a 1.5K annual service cost is the "NUT CASE, LUNATIC"

my 230 is 14 years old and ive been racing it for 8 years... im 260 lbs of no talent trying to push hard, so its seen more than average abuse....It just received its first bore job, im planning on another 8 long years of service... but that will put me at 63....hummm I think the bike is going to last longer....

LUNATIC....I think not...   I say GENIUS...!

• Like 3

HAAAA 8 more years your 63 I'm 64 and have 20 working dirt bikes here. Loony tunes is when one needs work panic attack. What if I only want to ride that bike

On 4/1/2017 at 8:02 PM, scridercoach said:

Well, I had only managed to snap one while it was on my trailer and by the time I got home it was a bit too dark.  I live outside of Charleston, SC and went to Wilmington, NC to get it.... so the better part of my day was used.  

That said, here's a glimpse. 

IMG_8888.jpg

Nice score man, this bike was local to me, about half hour up the street, I actually chatted with the guy about it a few times before I found my 06. Clean machine. :thumbsup:

So a quick update and a big thank you for all the board input that helped me decide on this bike.  Sadly, since buying it, time and life made getting it out and riding a bit of a chore. Before yesterday, I was only able to get it out on a primarily sandy National Forest loop for three brief runs, totaling probably no more than 3 hours or so.  Given that I'm really a dirt noob, it was not the most pleasant experience.  The learning curve for sand was kicking my butt.  I was enjoying the bike, but not to it's fullest given my lack of experience.

Yesterday, though, I was able to go to Durhamtown Offroad in GA and took one of my older sons with me on a Kawi KLX140G that I bought my 13-year-old.  Given it was Georgia red clay and an offroad park, I finally got to really ride it and get a feel for it.  It's still stock, but dammit, I love this bike.  Yeah, I've got some mods to do, but now I have a good idea of where I want to start and a baseline via seat of the pants to go by.  All of you sage veterans are on the money, not that I didn't believe you.  I'll have to hit the suspension first.  It was obvious in the progression of the day that the bike had never really been ridden very hard, as I could feel myself breaking in the rear shock.  (Admittedly, I was probably riding a bit harder as time progressed, since I was getting more comfortable with it, but I swear I could sense the shock was "breaking in" kind of like a pair of shoes or boots.)  Despite the stock suspension, I really didn't have any terrible surprises, but I know upgrading will just make it that much better.  Next up or even concurrently, I'll need either taller bars or risers.  Standing was kind of rough, so it needs that for sure.   I'll probably hold off on the power up for a bit if only because I don't think at my dirt level of experience it's a necessity right now.

Hopefully, I can get my suspension done before we go to the Hatfield-McCoy at the end of the month.  But, given I'm doling money for that trip, I may have to suck it up and wait... my budget is a bit tight right now, even if only for a couple of hundred for the fix.   Perhaps rob Peter to pay Paul???  We'll see.

Again, thanks to all of you lunatics for luring me into this.