Practicing alone

Hey guys I found out that one of my fellow competitors was practicing at his local track by himself. He ended up swapping out in a small whoop section and he woke up an undetermined time later when another club member happened to show up. The list of injuries includes a broken collarbone, broken ribs and worst of all, a concussion. The bottom line here is not to ride alone. Even if you have to drag a non riding buddy, girlfriend, buddy's girlfriend...etc, bring someone. I have been guilty of this in the past but not any more. 

I always ride alone... Just finished a 4hr ride yesterday by myself and another similar one today... 

IMG_20170401_165634_936.jpg

IMG_20170331_150122_759.jpg

3 hours ago, Monk said:

I always ride alone... Just finished a 4hr ride yesterday by myself and another similar one today... 

IMG_20170401_165634_936.jpg

IMG_20170331_150122_759.jpg

I frequently ride those same areas.

Nice riding.

Let me know if you want company sometime.

21 minutes ago, TimeToStartRidingAgain said:

I frequently ride those same areas.

Nice riding.

Let me know if you want company sometime.

Dual sport? 

I spent 5 hours alone ripping through central Oregon pine woods, lava and snow today. If I only rode when someone else was available I'd just sell my bikes and go fishing. I did get temporarily pinned under my bike today.

This is great advice but not always practical.

I spent 5 hours alone ripping through central Oregon pine woods, lava and snow today. If I only rode when someone else was available I'd just sell my bikes and go fishing. I did get temporarily pinned under my bike today.

Exact same thing for me, friend are not always avalaible for riding and sometime, they just want to drink beer and relax and dont wanna ride, so let's go ride alone, at the track, you were never alone, they always have somebody to help you if you crash hard, in the wood it's another thing. IMG_1491137729.717829.jpg

Ride alone all the time. I also hunt, surf, fish, work, camp, and hike alone. Acceptable risk. :lol:

10 hours ago, Monk said:

Dual sport? 

Often on my XR650L dual sport.

But can take my dirt only as well.

Be glad to show you more trails as well. 

About riding alone I do so about a third of the time.

I don't consider it a big deal. 

One could use the argument of no one behind you to run you over when you do fall so safer - LoL.

I see two sides of this:
1) you have some common sense, you weigh the risk vs benefit, and for your personal situation and desires, you make the best choice for you.
2) you never even considered it and Darwin is waiting around the corner for you.

I ride MX alone a fair bit. I do ride quite a bit more cautiously. But as a novice, any saddle time is good practice. The lady in the office promises to check on me before she leaves so the coyotes don't drag my body off at night.

4 hours ago, gatorfan said:

I ride MX alone a fair bit. I do ride quite a bit more cautiously. But as a novice, any saddle time is good practice. The lady in the office promises to check on me before she leaves so the coyotes don't drag my body off at night.

Remember, don't feed the wildlife. Even with your own body parts. LoL

I've done just about every form of dirt riding and racing alone (from alone with 500 friends you haven't met yet to REALLY alone 30 miles from home).  I mtn bike, hunt, fish, canoe, swim and dive alone too.  If I waited for someone to do all the stuff I like to do, not much of it would've gotten done.  

Cruising around on trails by your self is nothing like putting in laps on a moto track solo.  If your alone chances are the track unprepped and the chances of an incident increase. People cut the gates and continue to ride a lot of the tracks here after they are abandon or in between owners. All the jumps are still in place. Riding them sucks but is good practice. To ride them alone would be stupid.

18 minutes ago, temporarily_locked said:

Cruising around on trails by your self is nothing like putting in laps on a moto track solo.  If your alone chances are the track unprepped and the chances of an incident increase. People cut the gates and continue to ride a lot of the tracks here after they are abandon or in between owners. All the jumps are still in place. Riding them sucks but is good practice. To ride them alone would be stupid.

I guess on that logic I need to sell my bikes...I'll never ride! 

Edited by temporarily_locked
On 4/4/2017 at 7:57 AM, bg10459 said:

I've done just about every form of dirt riding and racing alone (from alone with 500 friends you haven't met yet to REALLY alone 30 miles from home).  I mtn bike, hunt, fish, canoe, swim and dive alone too.  If I waited for someone to do all the stuff I like to do, not much of it would've gotten done.  

I too have done a bunch of things alone (me too on diving). Sometimes because I could not find someone to go or their gear was messed up (diving). Sometimes because I wanted to be alone. For example, backpacking, 30 miles deep into the back country, not a sole around. Once a couple miles in, I seen like 6 people that entire week and 3 were forest rangers. I seen about as many bears and rattle snakes that week. I've also done snowshoeing/snowcamping trips alone - even more peaceful.

I ride a lot by myself (at MX tracks). Never completely alone. There's always other guys riding! I usually keep a paper with my name and emergency contact info in my window. I also show whoever is there where that paper is just in case. I'm never more than an hour from home so if all else fails my wife can come pick me up or whatever.

I ride woods only and my nearest area is 2.5 hours away. I am alone 85% of the time, no one near me who is a dependable partner. And I ride trails most don't even know are there. Just the way it is if I want to ride.

I think that knowing your limits and common sense it's a key to stay safe while doing any activity that might have a risk factor.

Going alone to the local track, yes, is full of other people, riding alone in the woods? yes, I just stay close or on frequently transited areas and avoid getting out of my comfort zone.

Only places I'm not going alone is ride in the desert or diving.

Attached picture is in south america ,when I go there I ride with friends, if my friends cant make it I just leave it for the next trip. Sharp as knife rocks and desolated areas, I don't want to think what could happen in a bad crash and alone.

IMG_2865.JPG