AdnohGuy VortecCPI ProCom CDI

The testimonials those 2 have given as to the effect the ProCom CDI box has on the throttle response and power delivery for the 230 have been spot on...

My recent electrical problems seem to have been CDI related...

During the rebuild , after talking with Guy, I had decided to go with the crf150 box ... As me being chicken about building a torque biased engine with 11:1 compression ...And not wanting detonation or pinging using pump premium fuel...

I was purposely avoiding the ProCom because of past experiences with higher compression and pump gas quality...

I was avoiding buying one because I didn't want to like it and then want to run it... And then worry about knocking under load...

So... Turns out the 150f CDI I bought used off eBay was bogus , not working ... And then my OEM CDI crapped out 20 minutes into break in...

Then I decided fate was pushing me to try a ProCom... So I ordered one for $36 off eBay and rolled the dice on a used 230 on box also...Got em both... Ran the OEM for an hour or so... Swapped to the ProCom and dumped a tiny bit of a good octane booster in the tank ...

The difference in the CDI boxes is quite noticeable on low end to midrange.... Sharper and stronger response and pull... In Guys accepted currency... I have to rate it "an afternoon of smiles"...

I will try it without octane boost soon ... But with the little bit I added , no knocking at all with me trying to make it knock...

I like it... I hope it doesn't knock... Because I will just have to invest in octane boost  !!!

• Like 3

I have thousands of miles on procom box. Many hours of testing,switching back to stock CDI. With many different combos of Engine mods Stroke/big bore. No pinging with Procom over stock box.My only complaint with Girlie bike. Is I want more front wheel lift  for clearing ditches/roots/rocks at speed. The procom box for sure helped that. Also major help with instant throttle response PKW28 mm carb. Stock carb major hold back.  Since procom box China man part,Stock CDI always in back pack. So far zero problems.

• Like 3

I have thousands of miles on procom box. Many hours of testing,switching back to stock CDI. With many different combos of Engine mods Stroke/big bore. No pinging with Procom over stock box.My only complaint with Girlie bike. Is I want more front wheel lift  for clearing ditches/roots/rocks at speed. The procom box for sure helped that. Also major help with instant throttle response PKW28 mm carb. Stock carb major hold back.  Since procom box China man part,Stock CDI always in back pack. So far zero problems.

1) More compression
2) 13oz off of the flywheel
3) move the rear axle forward
4) 262 cc
5) 269cc

You have choices.

If your serious, pick "AT LEAST" one and smile some more.

Pick 4 and hold on A LOT more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adnohguy said:

1) More compression
2) 13oz off of the flywheel
3) move the rear axle forward
4) 262 cc
5) 269cc

You have choices.

If your serious, pick "AT LEAST" one and smile some more.

Pick 4 and hold on A LOT more.

I have been thinking about the BBR big bore... Since it has more compression than the other common high comp pistons.... To go along with it's 10cc compression bump..

You haven't steered me wrong yet, but the flywheel lightening seems so counterintuitive to what I have experienced with built engines in the past...

If I ever did a pwk carb I would send it to Sredrum and see what extra is available with a hybrid bore... Since I cut the stock carb for max slide height opening, and jetting seems good for response right now, I would have to know I would get a big bang for my buck on the pwk...

On April 2, 2017 at 8:09 AM, bajatrailrider said:

The stock CDI is probably hecho in China, anyway.  Also, many scooter parts sellers have CDI units that look like a fit for $10 or less.

How would one chart advance curve on any CDI unit?

15 hours ago, mixxer said:

I have been thinking about the BBR big bore... Since it has more compression than the other common high comp pistons.... To go along with it's 10cc compression bump..

You haven't steered me wrong yet, but the flywheel lightening seems so counterintuitive to what I have experienced with built engines in the past...

If I ever did a pwk carb I would send it to Sredrum and see what extra is available with a hybrid bore... Since I cut the stock carb for max slide height opening, and jetting seems good for response right now, I would have to know I would get a big bang for my buck on the pwk...

Sredrum is the tapper bore man with the fcr's. I'm sure he could do a great job with the little PWK. 

I think you might get a pretty good difference between a stock enlarged carb and a PWK. I rode one with a BBR jetted XR250 carb then the PWK. 

I really like the BBR piston kit, Im fact, IMO, its possibly one of the few BBR 230f parts that is any good?
It's way lighter than stock, and has a solid copper head gasket included.

+1 .... more compression than Wossner or Wiseco

FYI:
No matter what is done to a stock 230f carb, one cannot make it as large as a 30 mm XR 250r carb.
The slide is smaller on the 230f carb.
One could possibly find a used XR 250r cheaper than a PWK? AND a new throttle and cable is not required, the 230 throttle and cable will work fine.

Plus there is much "less" Mismatch for the intake manifold to carb... no need for adapters on either end. BUT you do need to order XR 250 r clamps and screws for each end. The 230f clamps are two small. (Yes you could used "Radiator" clamps , of course, but that's would be wrong because it would not look bone stock anymore and then people would blame your "Big" carb for you being able to smoke them up hill's)

Now if you want to be the first one on your block with an XR 250r carb that even larger than the stock 30mm?

Port/machine the carb opening to be .040 ~ .060 smaller than the slide, remove the same amount from the top of the slide, the raise the roof of the carb the same amount. (I won't tell you who has done this on many different carbs) it works very well, and it looks stock on the outside....(my favorite look )

Ok, one last thing... there are 49st XR 250r carbs and there are "California" specific carbs.
The 49st carb has less parts that need to be changed in order for then to be jetted properly.

JUST MAKE SURE THE FLOAT LEVEL IS CORRECT.

See you now have even more options, Good luck and enjoy.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

The stock CDI is probably hecho in China, anyway.  Also, many scooter parts sellers have CDI units that look like a fit for $10 or less.

How would one chart advance curve on any CDI unit?

Baja Hooter Stock 230 CDI could not have been made in China. because my other 230s stock cdi is 15 years old.

7 hours ago, stevethe said:

Sredrum is the tapper bore man with the fcr's. I'm sure he could do a great job with the little PWK. 

I think you might get a pretty good difference between a stock enlarged carb and a PWK. I rode one with a BBR jetted XR250 carb then the PWK. 

Sredrum/ Christopher is a salt of the earth kind of guy.... Machinist extrordinair, gearhead, and firearms enthusiast on the highest levels...

And down to earth as a guy can be... 

Christopher used to drive up to my place in Michigan with literally milk crates full of machined/ modded carbs to spend weekends Dyno flogging his 450 Yamaha for Performance data... He was a dyno master long before I sold my dynojet to him for his shop....

Driven by performance, his carb and throttle body work is pure art.... Too bad you can't see it when the bike is assembled...

Steve, thank you for the input...

Double edged sword....

I want to think there are improvements to be had...

And yet I don't want to spend the money... But I'm an addict...

I don't want to deal with a big budget for manifold adapters for such an affordable carb...  Buuuuuuuuuut

3 hours ago, adnohguy said:

I really like the BBR piston kit, Im fact, IMO, its possibly one of the few BBR 230f parts that is any good?
It's way lighter than stock, and has a solid copper head gasket included.

+1 .... more compression than Wossner or Wiseco

FYI:
No matter what is done to a stock 230f carb, one cannot make it as large as a 30 mm XR 250r carb.
The slide is smaller on the 230f carb.
One could possibly find a used XR 250r cheaper than a PWK? AND a new throttle and cable is not required, the 230 throttle and cable will work fine.

Plus there is much "less" Mismatch for the intake manifold to carb... no need for adapters on either end. BUT you do need to order XR 250 r clamps and screws for each end. The 230f clamps are two small. (Yes you could used "Radiator" clamps , of course, but that's would be wrong because it would not look bone stock anymore and then people would blame your "Big" carb for you being able to smoke them up hill's)

Now if you want to be the first one on your block with an XR 250r carb that even larger than the stock 30mm?

Port/machine the carb opening to be .040 ~ .060 smaller than the slide, remove the same amount from the top of the slide, the raise the roof of the carb the same amount. (I won't tell you who has done this on many different carbs) it works very well, and it looks stock on the outside....(my favorite look emoji102.png )

Ok, one last thing... there are 49st XR 250r carbs and there are "California" specific carbs.
The 49st carb has less parts that need to be changed in order for then to be jetted properly.

JUST MAKE SURE THE FLOAT LEVEL IS CORRECT.

See you now have even more options, Good luck and enjoy.

Good lord Guy....

You sure know how to bait and set a hook!

I like....

I thought I read the xr had an interference problem with the fuel spigot....

BBR piston and XR carb sound like a decent bump ...

My 230 runs very very much better than stock....  But... Just a bit more...

You know how it is...lol

Just wanted to make sure...

What size pwk carb are we talking here?

What adapters?

eBay has knock off pwk copies for 40 bucks.... Probably should avoid Chinese carbs ... 

I had bad Xr250 carb cut off part that fits in manifold.Sanded it down slight bit pressed it over with JB weld Works perfect. Then for air box side Found mid pipe for YZ450 it fit carb.Then of all things Cosco Car tent post that fit air boot welded to together. I may have xr250r carbs to unload.

12 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

I had bad Xr250 carb cut off part that fits in manifold.Sanded it down slight bit pressed it over with JB weld Works perfect. Then for air box side Found mid pipe for YZ450 it fit carb.Then of all things Cosco Car tent post that fit air boot welded to together. I may have xr250r carbs to unload.

Hmmmm...

Unload xr250 carbs....

1 1/4" nominal schedule 40 aluminum pipe, not tubing, is a perfect fit for the engine side. . . . tent pole on the inlet or I may roll some tubing out of steel sheet along with a combination of welding and blacksmithing. . . . more easy with lathe. 

53 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Hmmmm...

Unload xr250 carbs....

Since we Built 8 or 9 XR300s with 34 flat slides. May have boat load of Xr250 carbs. What I love about Pwk 28mm it is so small so easy to work on compared to stock 230 carb. Also the Pwk picks up low end off idle snap mid and top end. Even at Idle motor sounds healthy. Caveman Engineering at its best,When making Adapters Mike was here.Said you will never find right size tubing in you junk pile for airbox side. He was right till I found Cosco tent post. I have brand new PWK for my stock 230 Baja Hooter thank you made Manifold Adapter. Mike made me other end Adapter because I have no more tent posts.     PTDC0120.thumb.JPG.323aefc9d1d7414429fa4029f9af17f8.JPG

I keep checking out the pwk knock off carbs on eBay....

Seriously $36 for a 28mm...

You could buy one of those just to mock up everything else for that price...