Clutch hydraulic fluid discolored

I recently noticed hydraulic fluid dripping from the lower mounting bolt on the slave cylinder while my bike was on the side stand  - 03' 200 EXC. It lost quite a bit, that I captured in a container over a few days. I noticed the oil in the master cylinder was discolored (blue?). I drew some out with a syringe and put it in the lid of the container next to the other oil... you can see the difference below.

In purging new mineral oil through the system from the slave cylinder, it took a few syringes full to push all the discolored oil out through the top - not sure where in the line it started (everything that originally leaked out of the slave cover was not discolored). 

You can see the amount that I siphoned out from the top added to the original oil in the pic, and the extent that it discolored it. 

Any ideas? thanks

FullSizeRender 19.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

I just picked it up this winter, its the first time I've looked into it. That's a good possibility that I hadn't thought of... someone may have added something (blue) into the master cylinder up top and the clear(er) oil was always below it. 

Or maybe she's Royalty, who knows :)

Not sure about yours, but the manual for my 14 300 xcw says to use dot 4 brake fluid (same as the rest of your brake fluid) as the hydraulic fluid for the clutch. I recently flushed mine and the before looked like your dirty jar, but not the blue one. It's crystal clear now. FWIW

Looks black to me, a new bike needs the most frequent changes, they are the hardest on fluids , with break down of new materials in the system.

also the last guy that I know who tried mineral oil in a dot 5.1 system, ended up rebuilding a slave.

Edited by Spud786

Do you guys find your clutch pull is better once  you change out the fluids? I've been meaning to buy the syringe so I can change out my hydraulic clutch fluid.

1 hour ago, ridindirty said:

Do you guys find your clutch pull is better once  you change out the fluids? I've been meaning to buy the syringe so I can change out my hydraulic clutch fluid.

I didn't use the syringe. I used the tusk brake bleeder hose from Rocky Mountain. It worked perfectly. No, I didn't notice any difference in clutch pull feel, but the old fluid was looking pretty dark so I wanted to change it before there was a problem

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ridindirty said:

I haven't had the chance to find out yet... everytime the ground clears up... it snows again. But it doesn't feel much different just trying it out static in the garage. 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:06 PM, Spud786 said:

Looks black to me, a new bike needs the most frequent changes, they are the hardest on fluids , with break down of new materials in the system.

I wish that was my problem! The bike is about 14 years old.. it's an '03

On 4/3/2017 at 9:27 PM, Ryguy00 said:

Not sure about yours, but the manual for my 14 300 xcw says to use dot 4 brake fluid (same as the rest of your brake fluid) as the hydraulic fluid for the clutch. I recently flushed mine and the before looked like your dirty jar, but not the blue one. It's crystal clear now. FWIW

The Brembo master cylinder cover states "mineral oil only" on it. Don't know what the previous owner(s) used... the M.O. I put in is also crystal clear, I don't know how old the previous stuff was. 

19 minutes ago, pwh70 said:

I wish that was my problem! The bike is about 14 years old.. it's an '03

The Brembo master cylinder cover states "mineral oil only" on it. Don't know what the previous owner(s) used... the M.O. I put in is also crystal clear, I don't know how old the previous stuff was. 

Stick with that then. The cover on mine says dot 4 or 5.1, but again, mine is a 2014. Sorry for the confusion. 

1 minute ago, Ryguy00 said:

Stick with that then. The cover on mine says dot 4 or 5.1, but again, mine is a 2014. Sorry for the confusion. 

No worries at all... thanks for the reply to my question 

• Like 1

Sounds like someone put 2 stroke oil in there???

No worries, it will work, believe it or not. Flushing it with the right stuff is always the right thing to do. 

Lower viscosity oil often makes it feel better but may leak.