Tusk gear shift lever help

For some reason in having trouble installing fish shift lever the bolt is hitting the spline on install when I thread it before install and if I try it after install the bolt just won't fit/angle wise I don't want to hit it in and then mess up the splines IMG_1222.JPGIMG_1215.JPG

30 minutes ago, 351mustanger said:

All the way out (bolt in one hand, shifter in the other). Slide the lever on and then put the bolt in. You may have to pull down or up on the lever to put the bolt in.

just got done trying that, the bold thread is hitting the spline a big amount :( can you see it in the pictures ?

I had to take the bolt all the way out then pry the shift lever gap open a little (where the bolt compresses).  I used a small screwdriver blade as a wedge to open the gap. This is to get the lever to where you can feel for the groove in the shaft spline, while pushing the lever on by hand.  

• Like 1

the shifter wont go all the way on up to the frame. the shaft will be about flush with the outside of the shifter. so as others have said, remove the bolt completely. you may or may not have to use a screwdriver or something to open the shifter a little more. use the handle of the screwdriver to lightle tap the shifter onto the shaft. if it goes all the way to the engine case, back it off a little. the shift shaft has a groove, so when the shift lever is on it, the bolt goes through the grove, not damaging the threads or the splines.

• Like 1