KTM 500 EXC "direct drive"

Really interested in buying a 500exc, however someone told me that because they're direct, not cush drive the transmission will get f'ed up with prolonged street use. Anyone know if it's true, or b.s.?

While it's true that the wheels are not cush drive on the 500 EXC, the clutch is, which protects the transmission.

There is a member on her that has a 2015 EXC that has somewhere around 20K street miles on it, IIRC.  His transmission is all original.

I personally have around 5K on my '16 EXC right now, and I have had no issues with the transmission either...

4 minutes ago, Chris R said:

... The dealer also stated no other issues except the fuel pump. Anything with yours?

I've had two of them, a '14 and a '16.  I have never had any issues with either one of my fuel pumps, but I do know that others on here have had some issues with the fuel pumps.

With my experience, it's not something that I would be worried about...

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Chris R said:

Really interested in buying a 500exc, however someone told me that because they're direct, not cush drive the transmission will get f'ed up with prolonged street use. Anyone know if it's true, or b.s.?

we call this "BS" all race bikes are direct street/dirt doesn't matter

The point, or question I thought I made was whether or not the transmission components would get f'ed up with prolonged street use being that it is direct drive? Comments through experience.

The point, or question I thought I made was whether or not the transmission components would get f'ed up with prolonged street use being that it is direct drive? Comments through experience.

Alright, thanks.

So far in my investigation dealers have reported that the fuel filter needs replacing with about every oil change, and some owners getting fuel pump failure, however easy fixes and fine after.

i havent changed my in tank or my in line filters since i bought it. 1700 miles and 96 hours ago.  i should change them and hope i didnt just jinx myself for this weekend, but so far so good.

clutch rubbers i need to change, but those "cush"ion(s) the trans from street use.

• Like 1

As long as your not chirping or near chirping the rear wheel with downshifts ,  You probably wont have the bike long enough to tear up the transmission,  but if riding the road aggressively, then you really need to rev match your down shifts, to avoid the above mentioned.

Ive never kept a dual sported non cush hub, for more than 50,000 miles, but they can easily go 100,000 mile without issue.