Premixing at a gas station

Just bought a 2 stroke dirt bike for the first time. I do trail riding, for refuelling I will usually just do it before I go out for a ride but for long rides I'm wondering how to refuel at a gas station. Is it bad to put the right amount of oil in the bike first, then put the gas in and shake the bike. I was also thinking of carrying a empty 2L coke bottle and just premix into that about 3 times. Let me know what some of your ideas are.

get a 4 ounce plastic bottle. Put your oil in it, store it in your camelbak, etc.

when you get to the gas station, pour oil into tank, add 1.9 gallons of gas. When you fill the tank with gas, let the gas run full speed into the tank, stiring the fuel to mix.

Ride for another 60 or so miles.

No need to make a mess trying to fill a soda bottle.

With a full tank to start, and a nearly 2 gallon refill, that is a pretty long ride. Of course, you can carry two or more of the 4oz bottles if you want. You can even get much bigger bottles. But KTM recommends 60:1, and that is not much oil in a gallon of gas (its 2.13 ounce oil per gallon)

• Like 3

I always turned my fuel off then filled up with fuel and finally added the right amount of oil. It ran at 50:1 so 20ml oil per litre of fuel. Once the fuel and oil were in the tank, I just shook the bike side to side to mix and then turned the fuel on.

• Like 3

Or you could buy the amsoil saber oil that you can buy pre-measured so you can just dump it in your tank if your desperate

I used to use premix bottles that had gradutions on the sides for this purpose. You can also make one by cleaning out a cough syrup bottle and scratching lines into it after pouring in measured amounts. The bottle is "child proof" so it doesn't unscrew accidentally in your bag. If filling up at the pump, it's best to use a place that has a separate hose for their 91 octane. 

I would refill the small 2.6 Oz oil bottles stihl chainsaw premix came in. 1 bottle is 50:1 for a gallon.  At the pump I would pour the oil in while pumping the gas. Then give it a good shake.

• Like 1

No matter what method you use, make sure to turn off the petcock first.  Oil is denser than gas, which means some of it may make it to the bottom of the float bowl before you can say "S***!  I forgot to turn off the gas!"  Better hope you have s spare plug.

• Like 4

We ride the Colorado high country in the summer and run into this often.  

I use my oil bottle and fill it with 2 stroke oil so that 60:1 oil will fill up my 2.9 gallon tank when we reach Taylor park or whatever. Dump in oil first, and like Pat said hit that oil blob with the gas and it will mix itself. 

If we don't go to another gas station, I will bring one or 2 Sigg metal liter bottles already pre mixed.  I immediately dump them into the tank when possible as it shifts weight off of my Ogio Flight Vest.

"I ride a 4 stroke because I don't like to mix gas." is literally the lamest excuse I have ever run into.  DURR MATHS

• Like 2

interesting.... seems like a lot here like to overcomplicate it.  or maybe thats just the american standard measuring system??

50:1 which is the same as 25 : .5

50 liters of fuel per 1 liter of oil.

my gerry can holds 25 liters.   fill it, pour half a liter/jug of oil.  done.  now ive got 25 liters (5 gallons) of fuel for the weekend. thats 3 tank fulls. 

no screwing around with coke cans, syringes with 5ml increments, mixing micro batches right in the gas tank with 1L of oil and 2.5 drops of oil, camelbacks full of oil and gas.

I lean the bike over to the non petcock side so the oil doesn't sink on that side then squirt it the gas and give it a shake.  I have a 2. oz bottle with me all the time.  It works for 7/8 to a little over a gallon.  For long rides I have 2 4oz bottles I fill with oil or use a baby bottle.

I bought 2 oz. leak proof bottles from REI, they were $2 - $3 a piece.  2 oz to one gallon is 64:1 so I over fill the bottle a little and should be pretty close to the factory 60:1.  These bottles are small enough you can carry them in hydration pack, or strap to forks or frame.  I'm looking at ways to put one or two in the airbox.

Most important is to make sure you use a bottle that can stand up to oil.  Not all bottles can do that.

Edited by tcmII
  • Like 1

If I anticipate filling up my 2t at the pump, I have my oil in a small container (said container in a seal baggie as they all seem to leak) delineated in 1 gallon amounts. Put a little gas in the tank before dumping in any oil. Add more gas and correct amount of oil, shake and go.

braap.

• Like 1

I use the leaky KTM oil bottle with some duck-tape around the lid. It fits right in the airbox of my 300. I pour in how ever much oil I think I'll need, and there is still room to squirt some gas in there too at the pump. I shake it good and then dump in the tank. If my mix is for more gas than I need, I dilute with gas and pour half in my bike and the other half in my buddies bike. Then we just fill with half the gas. If more gas is needed, my buddy then shares his with me.

• Like 1

On April 4, 2017 at 9:30 AM, 2strokes_rule said:

I pour in how ever much oil I think I'll need, and there is still room to squirt some gas in there too at the pump. 

Was with a buddy who (with a 99% empty tank) poured his oil in first, it ended up going straight into the carb, his bike stopped running within 300 yards after fill up. We figured it out (took us awhile) - had to get enough oil out of the carb so that gas would flow in order for it to run. Lesson learned.

I have a street driven KTM 2 stroke that is often filled up at the pumps since 2000. (my bike and I on the left)

25464_371305075802_2896505_n.jpg?oh=7a35

Like said, some folks are over-complicating the matter. I did once foul a plug from putting oil first into an EMPTY tank as described above but the vast majority of times I dump the oil into the tank and put the fuel on top of it, petcock open (cuz you know how hard an EXC petcock is to close, right?) - no problems.

One big problem with a black tank is "how empty is it?", especially when it holds 3.5 us gallons. No problem. Fill it until you can see the fuel an inch or so down the neck, put in the oil shot to match the volume and fill to the top. The carb holds a mile or two's worth of fuel (and the crankcase holds 30 minutes worth of oil) and the tank will be mixed by then with most of our driving. I've been doing this for years and thousands of miles with no lubrication faults. 

I usually carry my oil in whatever small container is at hand at home or in the garage. De-icer bottles, cough syrup, brake fluid, injection cleaner, etc. Washed of course. Depending on the ride, I can keep the bottle or drop it in the bin. 

I did have a failure from low octane fuel once. It was the only choice at a remote location. Since then I have modified the compression ratio so the bike will run on regular low octane fuel with no problems (and very little loss of power). With this experience, if your bikes run on the ragged edge of detonation, I would heed the advice of Clappedoutkx to be aware of the low octane fuel remaining in the hose when you fill up.