08 200 xcw need low end power

So I just picked up an 08 200xcw with 86 hours on it. Had it out for a ride today and everything feels great just looking for a little more 0-1/3 range throttle power. I had a 99 200 exc before that actually has more low end than this bike so not sure what the difference was. I haven't changed anything on either bikes. I've done some research and main thing is power valve I come across. Apparently these bikes don't have a spring change just a power valve adjust. Would this be the solution I'm looking for? Or if anyone knows of other good threads that would be a help too. Thanks!

Plenty of info with photos on the orange forum about how to adjust the power valve on the 200.  You can always tweak the jetting with the air screw on way or the other to change power characteristics.  If none of that works for you then, "There's no replacement for displacement."  BTW, HTF did you find an '08 200 XC-W with only 86hrs. on it?

Guess the guy didn't ride it. Or lied about the hours but it has an hour meter and doesn't look abused. Guy was a nice guy too and felt trustworthy. I'm finding some info on how to adjust it so will try turning it out and see if that helps the bottom end. 

I have the same bike with a Gnarly pipe. I never rode it with the stock pipe, but I rode a stock '16 200XCW and my '08 definitely has more low-to-mid power. It's perfect for the woods riding I do, so the loss of top-end power doesn't really bother me. The power-curve is very similar to an '09 300 I rode, just a little less everywhere.

Mine has the knarly pipe as well with the stock muffler. Is that all you did to yours?

Edited by Onzalimey

Jetting can play a big role in power delivery. When my friend bought his 09 200 it still had the stock jetting in it. Power felt off and non responsive.  I put a JD blue needle in for him. Bike ran cleaner, more responsive and more power in the first 1/4 throttle. Like other said take a look at the power valve adjustment too. 

so I turned the power valve 3 turns out and it keeps turning. Someone said it should only turn 3 turns then bottom out and to be careful with it not to overturn it. Should I keep turning? Does it eventually screw off?

9 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

so I turned the power valve 3 turns out and it keeps turning. Someone said it should only turn 3 turns then bottom out and to be careful with it not to overturn it. Should I keep turning? Does it eventually screw off?

Check out the "Sticky" on the orange forum for tuning the power valve on a 200.  It's step by step.  You have to check inside the inspection plate to see where the markings are.  As a starting point, set the power valve to what is called the Langston Setting. 

This thread really helped me tune my pv:

On 02/04/2017 at 4:23 PM, Onzalimey said:

So I just picked up an 08 200xcw with 86 hours on it. Had it out for a ride today and everything feels great just looking for a little more 0-1/3 range throttle power. I had a 99 200 exc before that actually has more low end than this bike so not sure what the difference was. I haven't changed anything on either bikes. I've done some research and main thing is power valve I come across. Apparently these bikes don't have a spring change just a power valve adjust. Would this be the solution I'm looking for? Or if anyone knows of other good threads that would be a help too. Thanks!

Carb tuning and power valve adjustment 

Just wanted to bring this back. Turned the power valve all the way out and the power comes on the pipe much sooner and better for low end. Top end isn't as nice but I'll take the low end over it. Checked the jetting and it's a 42 pilot with 162 main and air screw 2 turns out. I'm not sure what needle is has or position because I've never checked those before. I live in Calgary Alberta so elevation is 1000-1500M above sea level. Temperature the other day riding was about 8 degrees Celsius. So couple questions here. The bike lacked top end power on that ride. Is that because it's to lean on the main? It was bogging a bit so I think it was to lean but I won't usually ride that cold anyway. Also just wondering if anyone has any advice on those setting with that temp and altitude. Thanks!

Also wanted to add that on another ride with warmer temp the bike was giving me a lot of splooge. Read before that's a rich condition but I was also lugging it around all day that day. 

Edited by Onzalimey

Just now, Onzalimey said:

Also wanted to add that on another ride with warmer temp the bike was giving me a lot of splooge. Read before that's a rich condition but I was also lugging it around all day that day. 

it will be the needle and pre mix oil choice

you have plenty of power, just use the clutch its well known fact clutches like abuse on the mighty 200, if your dead set on changing something get the head mod the done its cheap and theirs big gains to be had.

• Like 1