My KX250 is too fast (sort of)

Friend of mine sold me a 2000 KX250 that runs fine for $500, haven't don't legit dirt biking in years, never owned a two stroke, took it to Hollister today and I just can't control it on the trials. Hitting the power band in any gear spins the (new) rear when I'm just trying to calmly round a blind corner on the side of a hill.

What can I do to make it more woods friendly? It's got an FMF Gnarly and Powercore muffler already. Looking at getting a 12-13oz flywheel weight - gotta crack it open and hope it doesn't have one already. Clutch is very grabby too which makes it worse. I tried ATF and 80w gearsaver but felt mostly the same, will inspect clutch parts when I check for the FWW. Anything I can do with the power valve spring? Googled that but everyone was talking about newer year models.

Anything else?

Edited by raimondi1337

Turns out the grabby clutch is because the basket is notched deep. Ordered a Barnett basket and their steel/kevlar plates.
Has no flywheel weight, ordered a Steahly 13oz, kind of worried I went too heavy but I'll find out later I guess.

I did a lot of searching and look like retarding the ignition will help me out, can I go as far the the plate will let me or should I only go a couple degrees?

16 hours ago, raimondi1337 said:

Turns out the grabby clutch is because the basket is notched deep. Ordered a Barnett basket and their steel/kevlar plates.
Has no flywheel weight, ordered a Steahly 13oz, kind of worried I went too heavy but I'll find out later I guess.

I did a lot of searching and look like retarding the ignition will help me out, can I go as far the the plate will let me or should I only go a couple degrees?

Never heard of anyone retarding timing on a kx only a yz , should try some carby tuning first , you might be surprised in the difference it makes to the ride ability of the bike

There's 3 notches on the stator plate.  Stock is the middle.  Try retarding and go from there.  Personally, I wouldn't rejet if the bike is running fine.  What gearing are you running both front and rear?  Taller gearing spreads out the power for less "hit".  13/48 is stock so try a 14t up front.  You may need to grind the case saver a little so the chain fits but DO NOT leave it off.

KX-timing.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 11oz FFW and ignition on the "retarded" setting. It feels more tame for sure. I tested it out in video below, however was in the sand so not much traction, and I was playing with jetting so those are all variables.

Oh hey I recognize that voice, I watched your FWW install video shortly before I ordered my 13oz. What did you do to make your front brakes better? My lever pull feels like shit and I was thinking about ordering a master rebuild kit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raimondi1337 said:

Oh hey I recognize that voice, I watched your FWW install video shortly before I ordered my 13oz. What did you do to make your front brakes better? My lever pull feels like shit and I was thinking about ordering a master rebuild kit.

CRF master

Galfer SS line for a CRF and CRF routing

Honda OEM pads

08+ KXF front fork guards

The biggest improvement was the master. The CRF master is even better than the 04+ KXF master I tried as well. I was running cheap Nuetron pad from RM that were $9. Not sure how good they were.

• Like 1

I did timing with my KX too by rotating the stator plate as shown. It works. Another option is the G2 Ergonomics throttle cam. You can set it back to OEM once you are familiar with dirt biking. The FWW will help with traction, reduce stalls, and make easier starting too. A 13 ounce FWW will not reduce power output. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 5

Sounds like a new clutch basket is in order :thumbsup: nothing worse than a graby clutch 

I haven't been around for a while, so this might be out of date, but Eric Gorr used to machine the base of the cylinder to make the bike tame for trail riding. Of course, it also reduced horsepower. Never heard of anyone actually admitting to doing it.

All these things will be helpful but nothing compares to seat time.  After a couple of rides, you'll be used to it and after a couple more you'll bleed pre-mix and the only word you'll speak is "braaaaap".  

Enjoy the ride!