How many hours is too many hours

Looking at buying a used husaberg fe450.

2011 model, 5000kms, 120 hours

I'm semi worried about buying 2nd hand 4 strokes, mainly cos of the hole it'll punch in my wallet if it needs work, but I've read good things about this models reliability so I'm torn.

What do you guys think, both in this specific case and in general? How many hours/kms would make you walk away from a deal?

I have no experiece with that bike, but 120 hours is low for the year. Also, its a 450, so it probably has not been bounced off the rev limiter a lot.

Like anything used, check the bike out, check the oil and air filter - that will give you a clear indication of how the guy maintained the bike. It amazes me how often people dont check those two simple things when buying a used piece of machinery. Even a garden tractor! They have oil and air filters too. Check em!

5 hours ago, thredbo said:

Looking at buying a used husaberg fe450.

2011 model, 5000kms, 120 hours

I'm semi worried about buying 2nd hand 4 strokes, mainly cos of the hole it'll punch in my wallet if it needs work, but I've read good things about this models reliability so I'm torn.

What do you guys think, both in this specific case and in general? How many hours/kms would make you walk away from a deal?

IMO, if you cant afford a worst case scenario on the bike... walk away.

Hours are pretty low and I think you'd be right for another 5K easily. That being said, its still a 6 year old dirt bike, it could need 1000 little parts and be reliable, or be in mint condition exterior wise and pop the day after you buy it...

Edit: just read your other thread(s) 

300EXC. there is a reason they are so popular here in Aus. IT does everything your X does and more whilst starting with a button and being road legal.. but doesnt have the much coveted Kayaba TC forks. 

Edited by BushPig

IMO, if you cant afford a worst case scenario on the bike... walk away.
Hours are pretty low and I think you'd be right for another 5K easily. That being said, its still a 6 year old dirt bike, it could need 1000 little parts and be reliable, or be in mint condition exterior wise and pop the day after you buy it...
Edit: just read your other thread(s) 
300EXC. there is a reason they are so popular here in Aus. IT does everything your X does and more whilst starting with a button and being road legal.. but doesnt have the much coveted Kayaba TC forks. 

Thanks for your advice

I can afford worse case scenario, I'd just rather not.

I've thought about the exc, but I'm not convinced it's sumo potential is very good. It'd be killer off-road, not so sure about onroad.

6 minutes ago, thredbo said:

Thanks for your advice

I can afford worse case scenario, I'd just rather not.

I've thought about the exc, but I'm not convinced it's sumo potential is very good. It'd be killer off-road, not so sure about onroad.

I did the sumo during the week dirtbike on the weekend thing for a bit with my 200EXC. 

It gets to be pretty poxy changing wheels and gearin over on a friday night to go riding Saturday. 

Just be aware of that. 

Smoker isnt ideal for onroad... but it wasn't too bad either. I'd prefer my 200 onroad to my old XR250R. Power is everything for road trail and motard. 

I did the sumo during the week dirtbike on the weekend thing for a bit with my 200EXC. 
It gets to be pretty poxy changing wheels and gearin over on a friday night to go riding Saturday. 
Just be aware of that. 
Smoker isnt ideal for onroad... but it wasn't too bad either. I'd prefer my 200 onroad to my old XR250R. Power is everything for road trail and motard. 

Yeah true. Financials are the other factor for me.

I can get that fe450 for around 5500 with both motard and dirt wheels.

Exc300 would most likely be around 6-7k for the bike alone, plus another 1000-1500 for sumo wheels.

What sumo wheels did you get for your exc?
  • Like 1

don't worry about parts too much most parts will cross with KTM. Plastics are still available pricey but available. 120 hrs is nothing. A friend has a 2010 FE 390 with 500 plus hrs  no real problems. My 2014 TE 250 is just about to hit 200hrs ( 2 stroke). Getting ready for a top end just bought piston here the other day.

• Like 1

That is the horizontal motor. No KTM part will fit.
I was in a predicament with a 96 FE600 10 years ago. I needed a cylinder, piston and crank but none could be found. I ended up parting out the bike. Still have the engine sitting in the basement, minus the cylinder and head, just in case anyone needs a part.

• Like 1

That is the horizontal motor. No KTM part will fit.
I was in a predicament with a 96 FE600 10 years ago. I needed a cylinder, piston and crank but none could be found. I ended up parting out the bike. Still have the engine sitting in the basement, minus the cylinder and head, just in case anyone needs a part.

The 70 deg engines were made when husaberg was owned by KTM so most of the parts swap with current ktm's. The 70 deg bikes are known to be super reliable my 2009 fe570 is going on 400 hours with no issues and the valves never move.
  • Like 2

The 70 deg engines were made when husaberg was owned by KTM so most of the parts swap with current ktm's. The 70 deg bikes are known to be super reliable my 2009 fe570 is going on 400 hours with no issues and the valves never move.

OK I wasn't sure on that.
I would just hate for op to get stuck like I did.

10 hours ago, thredbo said:

Yeah true. Financials are the other factor for me.

I can get that fe450 for around 5500 with both motard and dirt wheels.

Exc300 would most likely be around 6-7k for the bike alone, plus another 1000-1500 for sumo wheels.

What sumo wheels did you get for your exc?

OK Roger that.

I had RGV250 wheels that had spacers made for KTM axles.

Was looking at an earlier model myself, before. Put off a bit by the left hand kick.

OK Roger that.
I had RGV250 wheels that had spacers made for KTM axles.
Was looking at an earlier model myself, before. Put off a bit by the left hand kick.

What year models exc would you recommend? Are there any you'd avoid?

1 minute ago, thredbo said:

What year models exc would you recommend? Are there any you'd avoid?

I'd go 2010 up, or 07 down. For fourstrokes.

Any year two stroke.

5 hours ago, BushPig said:

I'd go 2010 up, or 07 down. For fourstrokes.

Any year two stroke.

how many hours have you got on your exc? I haven't heard good things about ktm reliability or cost of rebuilds, so not sure it'd be suited to 200 odd hours supermoto every year if I've gotta rebuild the thing every few months

19 minutes ago, thredbo said:

how many hours have you got on your exc? I haven't heard good things about ktm reliability or cost of rebuilds, so not sure it'd be suited to 200 odd hours supermoto every year if I've gotta rebuild the thing every few months

Has around 200 hours as a conservative estimate (I broke the original speedo, and replaced it not knowing how many hours were on it).

IF it werent due to a drowning I'd be on the stock crank. How long is a piece of string? I hear some people do hundreds of hours on a top end. I personally do 50.

Whenever I've bought a used bike....I put more weight on the overall shape, condition, and care of the bike vs. how many hours are on it. You can have a low hour bike that's been beat to hell....and a higher hour bike that's been well taken care of and serviced.......I'd rather have the bike that's been better taken care of.