how to lower suspension on my ktm 125

im 5ft3 and just got a new ktm 125 in very close to touching the floor and wondered if anyone can tell me how to lower it another inch or soIMG_2727.JPG

Anything you do 'externaly' to the suspension (more sag, lowering linkage, fork height) will change the handling characteristics of the chassis.

-cut the seat foam / buy a lower seat assy.

-have the suspension internaly lowered (spacers)

are the prefered methods.

• Like 1

I agree with miatour on this one, lower links will only lower the rear giving handling problems, start with the seat as its pretty much free unless you buy a lower one

If you lower the front fork the same amount through the triple clamps it should be fine. We're only talking an inch.

Most lowering links also change the leverage of the rear suspension,

I tried in vain to fine-tune my YZ125 after the installation of a link (clickers, sag, spring rate etc.)

even with my limited talents I bottomed the rear tire in the fender at least once a lap.

Sliding the forks up/down also affects geometry, always a trade off between turning ability and stability.

Here's an example of changes per 5mm height difference does:

fork height.JPG

Running more than the recommended rear sag (by reducing the preload / height of the bike) does about the same thing as well.

Edited by mlatour

For sure if you can afford and justify spending the money then have a suspension tuner do the work it is the best option. The x bushing I mentioned is an eccentric bush that replaces the lower PDS bearing it lowers the rear of the bike but does not change any of the actual suspension parts.

Just out of curiosity if the suspension is lowered internally by a tuner does it also change the handling?

I've never experienced on one but I'm sure there are also considerations,

for one, the wheelbase is likely altered, the front axle closer to the frame, the rear axle pushed away.

Let's just say the internal way is 'better engineered' to begin with and fine tune than the band-aid methods (more sag, fork height etc.)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I did have my suspension lowered internally as I have a prosthetic leg and couldn't reach the ground with my right foot but it cost over $1500 here in Australia. I started with the xbush and measured the amount it lowered the bike at the rear the same way you measure static sag and then lowered the front by the same amount. The x bushing cost about $100 and doesn't affect the amount of sag etc.