Nice spring day here in Michigan yesterday.  Sunny, 50, and my brother just sold his 96 CR 250 and picked up an 06 YZ 250.  Big day, riding my home track, me, my brother, and my 11 year old son.  I spent about 3 hours grooming the track, spread the butter, it was perfect.  

Fast forward about an hour, we all have gotten geared up and are riding in the track a bit.  My brother is leading, then my son, then me.  As we approach the sand monster I see the top of my brothers helmet sway, and he goes down!  I was pulling up to laugh at his first crash on his new ride when the tone changed, he was rolling around holding his chest.  I figured that it couldn't be good and jumped off my bike to help him as it was clear he was in a lot of pain.  He asked if he was bleeding, I said yes, but in my head was thinking "oh shit!"

This is what I found on his chest, a hole.  His front brake lever punctured his chest.  New levers with the ball end fully intact, I can't imagine what it would have looked like if he had a broken lever missing the ball end.

I noticed he wasn't wearing his chest protector, what an idiot.  It was sitting in his gear bag, said he figured we were just taking it easy.  What a dummy!

3 stitches under, and 7 outside.  Lever punctured a hole about 3/4" deep, and got to the muscle.  Thankful it wasn't worse, could have been ugly. Please wear ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!  Our sunny spring ride day turned into an afternoon at the ER, don't be like my brother

image.jpg

• Like 2

Ouch.   I've never even worn a chest protector but I could have used one a couple of times I'll admit.  I've been stabbed by some thorns and a tree branch in the past.

This is why most tracks and race organizations require the levers to have balls on the end intact.  It could have been much worse if they were missing.

Hopefully he'll heal up quickly.

• Like 3

Ya man that looks nasty and I'm glad he's ok and it wasn't worse :(

I was riding single track one spring with a far bit of blow down. Got to a spot where it was open so going pretty fast. All of a sudden there was like a 20ft long 3" diameter branch that had broken off and was pointed into the trail and next thing I know, the pointy end stuck into a chest protector and basically jousted me off the bike. I was sitting on my ass on the trail watching the bike ride off into the bush. I was SUPER lucky that the chest protector worked.

• Like 2

I high sided my 954 on the track and got a full lever length puncture on the inside of my thigh as I got supermanned over the bars. When the doc stuck his whole finger in there, I about puked. He laughed and said I was lucky, 1/2 inch the other way it would've ripped my beanbag right off. I bet that chest wound hurts like crazy.

• Like 1

And that's why I don't ride off-road without armor!

Even loading/unloading in the truck I usually pull my vest on - sled tether is either on that or on my jacket, and if my jacket's on I probably have a vest on under that. 

I remember one spring ride many years ago.  Thought about "riding light" - including leaving my knee pads in the truck.  Easy day, hard/crusty/hero-snow, riding with a couple "old guys".  Pulled knee pads on anyways.

Back in the woods, found a little snow drift by a tree.  Hucked off that, expecting a ~5ft drop to snow.  Turned out I was further over than I thought, and that drop ended up being about 20ft.  Ran my knee through the plastic cowl, bending the aluminum panel and 1" round-tube steering hoop on my sled.  Cracked the knee pad in several places.  Didn't walk right for a month after that.

The thought of "not wearing knee pads" for even the shortest ride doesn't even cross my mind anymore.

• Like 3

Ouch!!! I swear that's why I always wear my Fox armored jacket. Just fooling around with my son a few weeks ago on my XR 200 and thought nah, I don't need it...but put it on anyways. Ended up hitting a huge hidden rut and went over the bars landing hard. So glad I put that thing on or my day would have been done.

• Like 3

Yesterday I took a pretty stiff and quite pointed branch right in my bicep armour.  The branch was so strong it nearly shoved me off the trail.  Got a bit of a scrape on my arm from the armour moving but it would have been a hell of a lot worse without shoulder/bicep protection.  I can't understand why people ride gnarly terrain without complete armour?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Nice spring day here in Michigan yesterday.  Sunny, 50, and my brother just sold his 96 CR 250 and picked up an 06 YZ 250.  Big day, riding my home track, me, my brother, and my 11 year old son.  I spent about 3 hours grooming the track, spread the butter, it was perfect.  

Fast forward about an hour, we all have gotten geared up and are riding in the track a bit.  My brother is leading, then my son, then me.  As we approach the sand monster I see the top of my brothers helmet sway, and he goes down!  I was pulling up to laugh at his first crash on his new ride when the tone changed, he was rolling around holding his chest.  I figured that it couldn't be good and jumped off my bike to help him as it was clear he was in a lot of pain.  He asked if he was bleeding, I said yes, but in my head was thinking "oh shit!"

This is what I found on his chest, a hole.  His front brake lever punctured his chest.  New levers with the ball end fully intact, I can't imagine what it would have looked like if he had a broken lever missing the ball end.

I noticed he wasn't wearing his chest protector , what an idiot.  It was sitting in his gear bag, said he figured we were just taking it easy.  What a dummy!

3 stitches under, and 7 outside.  Lever punctured a hole about 3/4" deep, and got to the muscle.  Thankful it wasn't worse, could have been ugly. Please wear ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!  Our sunny spring ride day turned into an afternoon at the ER, don't be like my brother

image.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup: Was good for a while after my collarbone, but been getting sloppy again lately.

• Like 2

On April 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Obi-Wan Cojone said:

Ouch.   I've never even worn a chest protector but I could have used one a couple of times I'll admit.  I've been stabbed by some thorns and a tree branch in the past.

This is why most tracks and race organizations require the levers to have balls on the end intact.  It could have been much worse if they were missing.

Hopefully he'll heal up quickly.

The lever balls only work in some instances. Better than a point but I had a buddy on a police HD go down at 5mph on a road of large ballast(gravel but big chunks) and the lever went into his thigh deep. He was off a bike for almost a year. I use the cycra hand guards to protect me from the lever. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruzzer said:

The lever balls only work in some instances. Better than a point but I had a buddy on a police HD go down at 5mph on a road of large ballast(gravel but big chunks) and the lever went into his thigh deep. He was off a bike for almost a year. I use the cycra hand guards to protect me from the lever. 

Well a Harley does weigh more so the lever had that in it's favor.  That would suck bigtime.  AMA motocross/supercross races don't allow full handguards due to wrist /arm entrapment issues.  I've run short levers with balls and full handguards since '84 personnally.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Cojone said:

Did you look in your top dresser drawer???   Maybe your bra is in there.    ;)

Nah... I only found your dillies Guru. :smirk:

• Like 3

I watched the EMTs cut the end off a set of handlebars that had impaled a guy in the chest, then airlift him out of the mountains we were riding in with the bar still in him. Heard through the grapevine he had multiple surgeries to repair damage to a lung, diaphragm, etc.

I don't ride without full gear.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Spanky said:

Why are his toys in your dresser drawer??? :thinking:

LOLOL!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HeavyRotation said:

Your toys fit in a drawer? Pfft...amatuer.

Now you sound like Kg....

• Like 4