my 2017 CRF450, 2017 Husqvarna FC350, and 2009 YZ250F comparison

So I arrived at a local track, haven't thrown a leg over a motocross bike since last fall (I live in Minnesota, life is thawing out around here).

I had made a slight jetting change to my 2009 YZ250F.  First things first, I went out on my own bike to see how it ran.

It was good!  Ran fine.  The rider did not, I only made it one lap before my hand started bothering me (I have issues with one arm, and have't ridden in forever).  Point is, the bike was great, no complaints, worked dandy, plenty good power.

So I came in, rested my hand, and started eyeing my friend's brand spankin' new 2017 CRF450.

I sauntered over to it, looking at him with a "may I?" look.  He said "go for it, have fun".

My first reactions; it was a bit stiff, I think some of that was from needing break in, but the fork wasn't super compliant over this uphill whoop section, and it was harder to keep the front wheel pointed forward.  NOTE:  I like my stuff set up on the softer side.  I'd probably have to revalve this thing to mush it out a bit more for my liking.

The power!  WOW!  My frame of reference was just getting off a 2009 YZ250F.  My latest 450 experience is from a tired, never rebuilt 2006 CRF450.  I have never ridden a fuel injected motocross bike.

That 450 had such great power!  You could roll on it coming out of a corner, either in any gear, or I just lucked out and was always in a decent gear, but every time it would pull the front tire up, power wheelie about six inches, and you can just hold it there until you set it down for the next corner.  Very controllable, awesome power, seemingly always there.

It turned on a dime too.

Then I got back on my 2009 YZ250F.  WHAT?!?!  What happened to this thing??!  I've never felt like my 250F was ridiculously slow, until yesterday.  The fuel injected 450's power was so amazing, controllable, but plenty on tap... my 250F I found I was revving the crap out of it like I've never revved it before, wondering what was wrong.

Then I tried the Husky 350.  I thought it turned great, same complaints about the brand new suspension; a bit too stiff for my liking, I'd like to use more of the fork in regular bumps or whatever.  Again, I am weird, I like my stuff softer, soaking up more stuff; not stiff, waiting for the big hit that I'm most likely never going to deliver.  A regular person would likely find both bikes' suspension very nice.  The power on the 350 was about the same as the 450 right away, but as you rolled deeper onto the throttle, the 450 would pick the front wheel up easier.  I could definitely be happy with the 350's power, especially coming off a 250F.

By the end of the day, when I was starting to kinda get my feel for riding back, I found my 250F a blast to ride, like a little mini-bike compared to the 450.  Where my friend would back off in the middle of a corner, I'd be hard on it.

So I'd be happy with any of these bikes, all were very fun.  I'm still happy with my '09 YZ250F; but dang that CRF450's power and turning were great.  If I could get the suspension to mush out a little bit for me, that would be a heck of a machine; maybe a little too much, maybe I'd be happiest with a 350?  It's hard to say.

• Like 1

As you saw, different bikes are fun for different reasons...I roll my eyes on the "which bike is best" threads. If you love motorcycles, you can have fun on 450Fs, 350Fs, 250Fs, 300 smokers, and 125/250/big bore MX smokers...

• Like 2

Was the CRF450 the R or RX?

I'm on and 05 CFR250R (did the top end and piston in 2010 and I've softened the suspension up) and it still feels great every time I get on.

We ride mostly flowy/technical single track and I've got buddies with 2015/16/17 bikes and too have had a chance to ride them and YA I can immediately tell the 250R is dated but still like it when I get back on it :) I also have a 1986 Honda Reflex that I take out occasionally and Always have fun on it.

2017 KTM 250XC-W

2016 YZ250FX

2015 KTM 350EXE

We live in an AWESOME time for dirt bike options

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:30 PM, Sofiedog said:

As you saw, different bikes are fun for different reasons...I roll my eyes on the "which bike is best" threads. If you love motorcycles, you can have fun on 450Fs, 350Fs, 250Fs, 300 smokers, and 125/250/big bore MX smokers...

In addition, if you know how to ride you will go pretty much the same speed on any of these bikes, aside from the obvious stuff, like steep hills will have your 125 going slower.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:39 AM, filterx said:

Was the CRF450 the R or RX?

Sorry, just saw your question... it was the R model.