Oil flakes after rinsing oil filter in container.

I rebuilt motor crank up,, trans shift fork and 2 gears. Rode, changed oil and new filter. Since I rode fast trail, about 400 miles, put bike away for winter.

Yesterday took a spin around my sub and changed oil. Noticed my magnetic drain plug had a little soft mush metal on magnet,, not bad, and it was soft like clay so no major solids.

I noticed the filter looked fine, a little darkness by the oil inlet hole on filter. I wanted to reuse the filter so I RI sedan it with gas in small container. Used a toothpick to stroke each filter groove while shaking filter.

I noticed at the end of cleaning that there was small flakes in my transparent container with the gas. Used a magnet and most was magnetic.

I know some metals are typical wear,,, anyone ever rinse their filter and notice flakes ?

I have a small amount of metallic "dust" every time I do my oil filter change. New rings? Fresh cylinder? Could've been the break in. Normal. As far as the mush, what kind of assembly lube did you use? I saw a fresh rebuilt diesel seize because the tech used way too much white lithium grease and it plugged the filter. That stuff stays separate in the oil and will cause some muddy looking oil.

No this was metal so small on the drain plug magnet. Ferris metal so fine is was feeling like mush, just trying to describe non hard feeling ferris metal stuck to magnet.

6 hours ago, ttreewalkerr said:

It's one of the more expensive filters,, it's definitely not paper.

So it is a metal screen type?

sounds normal to me except i wouldn't reuse any filter and i wouldn't go that many miles on a break in oil. the gasoline could damage the filter media either restricting flow or allowing particles thru.

i actually have a very close up video on my phone of me cutting open the pleats of the original oil filter, after the first 60 miles or so.. there were many many metal flakes ranging from mostly small black pepper sized to a couple large red pepper sized flakes.

The small flakes appear bluish and look like material from the transmission gears, the larger pieces are bright and look like aluminum from the cases.

update here: thought id share since i couldn't get pics of the first one, this is my second oil filter for this bike and 4th oil change. an autopsy reveals the presence of a high concentration of metal chips within each pleat.. chips appear smaller than before but roughly the same amount as the first dissection a magnet reveals the chips are mostly non ferrous.

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG