When to start playing with Tuner for YZ250FX?

New Rider, 31 yrs old, on a 2015 YZ250FX I jyst purchased brand new.  Long time athlete surfer/skier, good shape, 5'8" 160#.  I have ten hours on the bike.  I'm really enjoying it.  Not here to complain, just want to improve.  So far I have 6 rides on the bike.  

I feel like second gear is basically first gear on this bike, I find myself riding most of the time in 2nd and 3rd on trails and natural terrain tracks.  Im happy with the bike, but I do feel I'm re-grabbing the throttle a lot to stay in the meat of the power.  I like being able to lug the bike in 2nd, and honestly my skill at low speeds isn't that good yet, but I guess just wondering if you advise different engine tunes/maps for something that can still lug down low for technical trails but can bring the power on a little sooner in 2nd and 3rd without having to "clap it out" as my expert riding buddies say?  Maybe the suspension is too stiff (it's set at stock now) but the bike just feels jumpy and not too planted in more technical sections (uphill especially)...

Edited by 7raptor

Try a 52 rear sprocket. 

If you have the tuner try this map.

20170402_235238.png

Edited by Robt85
  • Like 1

If you're a beginner then you'll likely find the stock suspension stiff in technical stuff.  Nothing wrong with playing with the tuner or sprockets but you should put considerable effort into dialing in the suspension. Personally I'd make that a priority. Use this forum and your 'expert' buddies as a resource. My expert buddies consistently have only one bit of advice for me >> "turn that throttle"! One of them's down for the season after his second bad crash in 2 weeks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gatorfan said:

If you're a beginner then you'll likely find the stock suspension stiff in technical stuff.  Nothing wrong with playing with the tuner or sprockets but you should put considerable effort into dialing in the suspension. Personally I'd make that a priority. Use this forum and your 'expert' buddies as a resource. My expert buddies consistently have only one bit of advice for me >> "turn that throttle"! One of them's down for the season after his second bad crash in 2 weeks.

looks like that advice worked for him     lol

• Like 1

First thing we are doing this week! My buddies are legit and their #1 thing is they want my bike softer before touching anything else. 

I found the stock suspension was set too stiff for single track. Also, if the bike was new, check the tire pressures. Mine came from the dealer set at 20psi. Bounced off of everything.

• Like 1

i'm also 5'8" 160 lbs and only ride technical single track.   You will need to change both fork and shock springs if you want the bike to perform correctly.  On Monk's recommendation I also changed the ICS springs, which did a LOT to make the bike more compliant.

Part of that jumpy-ness might be the fuel injection. off of idle these FI bikes are VERY jumpy, a slow turn throttle (G2) can help and different mapping can smooth some of that out too.  Newer riders tend to ride a lot in that "on-off" zone of the throttle and that is where this bike is the jumpiest.  if you ride more into the power it will be less like that.  and these are 250f's so they prefer to be in the power more and not lugged as much.

It honestly sounds to me like you're trying to use 2nd where you should be using 1st.  but it's always hard to tell what someone is describing in a post. 

Learn how to use the clutch!  The FX has crisp throttle response due to excellent fuel injection.   Inexperienced riders comment that they don't like this feature, but those who use the clutch properly love it.   If you use the clutch properly, you will be able to use 2nd gear in tight places and it will smooth out your riding transitions and tremendously help on hill climbs and rough terrain.

• Like 2

Keep running a gear tall (2nd instead of 1st) and use the clutch more. Best advice I ever got as a new rider was momentum and riding a gear tall. I almost never use first in the nasty stuff here in the PNW. Even if I'm pivot turning, I can pop it no problem in 2nd. I lug the crap out of the FX pretty much anywhere and have no problem pulling the same gear as my buddies with 300s. 185lbs for reference. As someone else mentioned a 52 rear can help. That helped me get into the meat of both second and third, instead of fighting between the two.

• Like 1