Kickstarter "locked behind frame"... after attempted starting XR 250R

I have a pretty crazy problem. This has probably never happened to anyone before, but here goes.....

I own a mint 1987 XR250R. The bike maybe has 20-25hr on it. It ran fine when I bought it in the Fall. I pulled it out to start it. It started after a few kicks, however on the return of the kickstarter it somehow rotated internally to the left and now it is caught behind the posterior portion of the frame where the exhaust bolts on. When I say caught, it may be more accurate to say completely jammed.I took off the exhaust in hopes of creating some room to move the kickstarter down and out, but this did nothing to help my cause. I cannot push the kickstarter down any further- it feels locked and I don't want to break or bend anything. I thought to pull kickstarter off and I can't. The top portion of the kickstarter lever is f'ing wedged in behind the posterior portion of the frame and won't allow me to simply pull off the kickstarter at it's base. I can only pull it out so far and then the top part of the kickstarter lever wedged against the frame stops it. I did see the screw on the kickstarter top portion where it attaches to the base of the kickstarter. I took this screw out thinking I could 'tap' the kickstarter's top portion off. The top portion looks like is should come off not problem, but it won't. I'm not sure if it simply slides on or slides on and then locks into position with a twist. If it locks with twisting, I have no idea which way to turn it. 

I do have the factory service manual, and I'm surprised it shows nothing about the kickstart lever coming off. I've hit YouTube and can't get anything. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I apologize in advance if this sounds ridiculous or is a purely elementary fix for someone who's very experienced / mechanically inclined. I'll be the first to admit I am no motorcycle mechanic but can usually do most stuff without incident. Warmer weather is coming to Northern NY and I just want to get the bike ready to go. This certainly isn't helping matters. 

In addition... the bike started and made are really odd noise after the kickstarter got wedged on its return stroke and then died. I'm hoping it doesn't mean something horrific just happened. 

Thanks in advance for any info. At this point anything is better than what I'm doing. I know being Sunday afternoon, odds of getting responses are pretty low....

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

Edited by XR Fan
Adding photos

This has happened on my '97 400. You should be able to push/pry downward/back on the kickstarter and rotate it away from the frame. It has never been a problem on mine but I did think it was a strange thing to happen.

Yours may still be on the compression stroke causing it to be difficult to move the kickstarter. Try putting it in high gear and push it until it's on exhaust stroke.

Edited by SSSTANG

when you pulled the screw out did you also get a small spring and a little steel ball out of the hole , if you did you can tap the kick lever off the knuckle by hitting from front toward the rear, if you didn't get a ball and spring out they are still inside and may not be lined up to come out and tapping it back won't work.

Wicked clean looking bike 

Can you not take the bolt out of the knuckle that holds it onto the shaft coming out of the engine? Take the whole thing off the shaft.

Make sure the trans is in neutral.

I hook mine behind there to work on the bike sometimes,, cant see why you cant move the kickstart counter-clockwise enough to unhook it?

Does it feel like there is an obstruction internally?

Thanks everyone for the responses. 

I was able to get the bike into the exhaust stroke and then gently 'pry' it down and out. There was some internal resistance initially, but everything seems okay. Bike runs great after the fact. 

Is there a possibility of damage to kickstart gear as bike was running and making a noise for a bit before it stalled out ? There was a grinding noise. What would any of you do? Wondering about any metal 'shavings' from the grinding noise as kickstarter was partially engaged when bike ran for a bit after starter got stuck....

Thanks again for the assistance. It was really appreciated. I love this bike and the  last thing I want to do is ruin it over some freak incident. 

Also... 

Does anyone know what color white the paint is so I can touch up scratched area(s)? I'm assuming a Honda White, but am unsure about a number for the color. I know the bike is going to get scratched over time for sure; however, I just want to keep up on stuff and not let the metal get rusty in exposed area(s) from being wet.