FMF Gnarly pipe feels flat on the top end.....

I've been slowly getting used to the 04' RM250 that I picked up a few weeks ago. As I've been riding it harder, I've noticed that the power hit realm hard on the low/mid range.....but as soon as you get it wrapped up and onto the pipe.....the motor seems to go flat and stop pulling. The getting seems great, the bike a runs awesome except that it just doesn't have much overrev pull compared to some other bikes I've had.

Is that just how a Gnarly pipe feels on an RM250? It's got lots of low/mid power....just not much top end pull for very long before you need to shift.

Thoughts?

its just letting you know when to feed it another gear...:thumbsup:

I run a gnarly on my 300 an it was weird at first but seems normal now...

I just dont wring it out as high as I used to...

and the bottom end is unstoppable...

The bike came with the Gnarly on it......so I didnt have much choice. I'm going to be doing more woods /trail riding...so I guess having lots of low/mid power isn't a bad thing.

• Like 1

Actually riding a gear high and shifting less could be a faster way to go, it should hook up better and be more controllable.  This is also why so many of the pro's ran flywheel weights when they were racing 2 strokes. 

...hmmmm, was the problem there before adding the gnarly?  It sounds like (pun intended) your main jet may be to small..........

3 hours ago, IQRaceworks said:

Like I said a few times before..

bought this bike used....came with the pipe.

Ok, so at this point you kind of need to make a decision. 

1.  Leave the pipe Gnarly pipe on and learn how to ride with it, and in a way that you do not constantly bump up against the part of the power band that flattens out.  Different gearing a FWW and riding a gear high when possible will help.

2.  Toss the pipe and get either a stock pipe or something else that will give you more over rev.

I have no idea of what it's like to ride in your area so you need to make those decisions.  I can say that I use to set my RM's up to scream, completely ignoring low end power.  After buying a KTM 300 which has a huge amount of low end thrust, I started torqueing through corners and have discovered that I'm actually faster now because of it.  Mostly because with my RM I was constantly shifting to keep the bike singing, with my 300 I mostly keep it in 3rd gear.  The hydro clutch helps when the going gets tricky but still, an RM with a Gnarly pipe and a FWW can provide you with plenty of useable low end power.

I ran a ngarly for a while absolutely loved it on tight tracks and tracks that had jumps straight after corners. But it was frustrating on tracks with longish straights. I would just run out of power. Switched to a fatty now. Much better pipe for mx. I find that I do need to use the clutch quite a bit though. I've also used a bills mx2 pipe which shifted the power right to the top.
So yeah the pipe makes a huge difference. You need to figure out what sort of power you want and go from there.