Has Dungey been playing possum?

Most of us have assumed that RD is "over it" but he certainly didn't look that way last night.  I think there is a VERY good chance tha we see Dungey go for it from here on out.  Eli better not sleep on him, especially with how the lappers played out.  You know Dungey has to be pissed off right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

Yeah, but nobody was ever afraid of Mr. Rogers when he got pissed off.

Anger, especially if channeled into determination, can go a long way toward suppressing fear / uncertainty / doubt.  If RD had any lingering apprehension regarding Roczen's crash, that could be gone now.

• Like 1

Something was wrong with Dungey in the previous few races.   Mental, physical (sick or injured), or screwing with the bike set up.

In the last few races, it looks like Tomac and Dungey swapped the "start karma".

I don't think Dungey is laying up to fool Tomac.   RD might be having RV / KX450 flashbacks.

Last year, Dungey got a lot of hole shots and wins.   Better be top three at the end of the first lap to win STARTOCROSS.

3 RACES for the Championship.   Almost a clean slate.

Edited by Kev_XR
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Kev_XR said:

Something was wrong with Dungey in the previous few races.   Mental, physical (sick or injured), or screwing with the bike set up.

In the last few races, it looks like Tomac and Dungey swapped the "start karma".

I don't think Dungey is laying up to fool Tomac.   RD might be having RV / KX450 flashbacks.

Last year, Dungey got a lot of hole shots and wins.   Better be top three at the end of the first lap to win STARTOCROSS.

3 RACES for the Championship.   Almost a clean slate.

How many white / orange KTMs do you think are going to move over for Tomac?  That's one of the reasons that I don't really feel sorry for Dungey.  KTM has a lot of bikes out there that can take their sweet ass time moving over.  Dungey has the advantage here.  Tomac is going to have a huge uphill battle for the title these last 3 rounds.  

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Assuming that Tomac / Dungey finish no worse than 2nd and win out between them, whomever wins 2 out of 3 wins the championship.  Those are rather large assumptions however, because team tactics / lappers are absolutely going to play a role.

How many white / orange KTMs do you think are going to move over for Tomac?  That's one of the reasons that I don't really feel sorry for Dungey.  KTM has a lot of bikes out there that can take their sweet ass time moving over.  Dungey has the advantage here.  Tomac is going to have a huge uphill battle for the title these last 3 rounds.  

I don't believe that Rockstar Husky will play any part.  I think it comes down to Marvin and so far he has not been in front of Tomac very often and will rarely be in a position to run interference from a lapped position.  Tomac is fast, but not that fast.   Marvin could also cost himself points and maybe bonus money if he screws around too much.  Seely is only 16 points behind him right now.  We may see nothing until the last race when a clearer picture of the standings and tactics needed is there.  Lots of people saying KTM won't do anything.  Championships mean a lot to these teams, I think it would be silly to not do what they can within the rules................or at least visually what appears to be within the rules.  Let's face it, this year just waiting for the big yard sale from Tomac has not been a very productive strategy.  

• Like 4

As much as I would like to agree that last night would push Dungey into that next gear I don't see it happening. The same could be said after Daytona and that didn't happen. I think we are seeing the best he has right now. Which is still pretty darn good, just not as good as Tomac

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, miloshkevich said:

As much as I would like to agree that last night would push Dungey into that next gear I don't see it happening. The same could be said after Daytona and that didn't happen. I think we are seeing the best he has right now. Which is still pretty darn good, just not as good as Tomac

Good post, I think you pretty much nailed it ?

22 minutes ago, Masterpeen said:

What would be the purpose of playing possum during a supercross season?

nothing really, just closes the points gap up to where you need to ride perfect with no mistakes to clinch the title, back when i rode BMX i gave it my all every race to keep/ extend my points lead, that way even with a dnf i would still be in the lead or only a few points off.

• Like 1

Nail, meet hammer. Don't think anybody could say it any better. Tomac is in the zone and Dungey isnt exactly. It happens.

1 hour ago, Masterpeen said:

What would be the purpose of playing possum during a supercross season?

We're talking about a rider that has a cult following for getting podiums instead of wins.  He's famous for it and his cult fluffs him publicly about how smart he is to take 2nd / 3rd place.

11 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

We're talking about a rider that has a cult following for getting podiums instead of wins.  He's famous for it and his cult fluffs him publicly about how smart he is to take 2nd / 3rd place.

Squidy still is not taking the bait. Its like crickets around here.

My money says RD is still dangerous for the title. I am not convinced that the anger thing works for RD. He is a consistent type of rider rather than agressive. Plus, it would have taken a real mistake on ET's part for him to get around ET at this point,  christ he couldn't get around old CR for god's sake. The start is where RD makes his move though in my opinion,  and he hopes for a mid pack start for ET pins him down at around 3rd or 4th, while RD takes a win using Moosecan and Anderson to hold ET back.

If RD can break out at the start and have some tough passes for ET with MM and JA in there he still has a good chance IMHO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

Squidy still is not taking the bait. Its like crickets around here.

My money says RD is still dangerous for the title. I am not convinced that the anger thing works for RD. He is a consistent type of rider rather than agressive. Plus, it would have taken a real mistake on ET's part for him to get around ET at this point,  christ he couldn't get around old CR for god's sake. The start is where RD makes his move though in my opinion,  and he hopes for a mid pack start for ET pins him down at around 3rd or 4th, while RD takes a win using Moosecan and Anderson to hold ET back.

If RD can break out at the start and have some tough passes for ET with MM and JA in there he still has a good chance IMHO.

Call it anger, call it whatever you want.  I think it's possible that he had a plan all along that he wasn't going to push it unless Tomac caught up this close as he has done.  I'll bet we see a battle next week.  If RD gets the holeshot, watch out.  

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 3

Call it anger, call it whatever you want.  I think it's possible that he had a plan all along that he wasn't going to push it unless Tomac caught up this close as he has done.  I'll bet we see a battle next week.  If RD gets the hotshot, watch out.  

Red, really??? Don't be saying negative sh!+ About Tomac... He is so close... He gonna pass dungey in points next week in Seattle.. dungey going to lose his cool and gonna go back to his old ways pre Aldon baker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, slowgs2001 said:

Red, really??? Don't be saying negative sh!+ About Tomac... He is so close... He gonna pass dungey in points next week in Seattle.. dungey going to lose his cool and gonna go back to his old ways pre Aldon baker

I'm not doubting Tomac in the least.  I'm just saying that I think RD hasn't been pushing it until yesterday, and I think RD will actually push himself in the remaining rounds.  Tomac is still the man, he's won 8 out of the last 10 and has a freight train worth of momentum.  I think we're going to see the irresistible force meet the immovable object the next 3 rounds.  

• Like 1