185XL engine to XR200R '85 frame

Hallo everyone

Is it possible to fit a 185xl motor to an 1985 xr200r frame?

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl185s-1987-h-canada_model6505/partslist/F__2600.html#results

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr200r-1985-f-canadacmf_model20185/partslist/F__2500.html#results

I have a frame in a very good condition but the engine is too bad to be fixed

So i am looking for other solutions to make this beauty run again

FB_IMG_1489258510365.jpg

It is possible, I researched putting a XR200R two valve engine into a 84 XR250R RFVC chassis; just too many motor mount details to work out. It was easier to buy a used XR200R frame.

All of the plastic and suspension parts from that chassis will bolt onto a 86-02 XR200R chassis, even the muffler will fit except for the inlet size.  Caveat is Honda transitioned electrical systems in the mid eighties so 83-, 84, and 85+ electrics all have different connections and packaging. Easiest to use the harness and electrics that belong to the engine. 

I put an xl185 motor into a 2000 xr200r you will have the play around with the motor mounts. that engine will be a twin carb jobby so you will need the carb boot off of 1986+ xr200r's. there are these little block things under the 185's engine one will get in the way it will need to be ground off. plus the exhaust will need to be swapped out. electrical is a big deal aswell with the xl185 being a 6 volt dc system so all that will have to modded into it aswell.

Putting a XL185 motor into a 86+ XR200R chassis is pretty much bolt in except as noted.  The problem is the OP has a RFVC 250 chassis which uses an entirely different motor and mount system. I've owned those XR250Rs, and XR200s, and I've done engine swaps. The two valve engines (XL/XR185/200) are based on a different engine family than the RFVC 4 valve engines and the motor mounts are in different locations so you will never be able to bolt a two valve motor into a RFVC 4 valve frame. It would be a project similar to installing a XR motor into a RM chassis (I've done that).

Any 84-95 RFVC 4 valve engine, if using a single carb version (86+) also get the air boot. Same applies to electrics, use the ignition module and wiring harness from the donor engine, especially if it isn't the same year and model as your chassis. The ignition modules provide spark lead so are specific to the engines, the good news is they have code markings that are the same as the middle 3 digits of the Honda part number. Make sure the module marks match the engine used because all of the modules from the mid eighties and on look the same.   Here is a pic of a 86+ XR200R module the Honda Product Code is "KTO", which is the middle part of the part number for this module. All of the newer modules look like this but with different advance curves, and some operate on DC rather than the AC used on off road bikes. They all have two connector plugs, a four pin and a two pin. 

86+ XR200R CDI Module.jpg

Edited by Chuck.

thanks a lot guys

i think i will follow your advice Chuck 

the condition of the bike was really good for its age

but....

it was dissapointing when i saw how the motor was inside

Edited by tasosktm

And it is very difficult to find parts for the engines; a popular fix, and challenge, is to use 86-95 XR250R parts. And 86-95 XR250R owners liked the 84-85 cylinder/piston for a much bigger bore. 86+ engines had an oil cooler. I've had 84 and 87 XR250Rs and there were things I liked regarding both engines.  The 84-85 engine was softer on bottom end and the twin carbs provided much better low speed throttle response. The 86+ engine had more bottom end and the single carb was easier to maintain. One downside to the XR250R is its weight.

Hey tasosktm, I dont know what year your XL is or if there are differences in an 85 XR frame and an 86 XR frame but I put a 1982 XL 185 into a 1986 XR 200.   I was told by some in this forum that it would bolt right in but it surely did not. The main problem in my case was that the XL countershaft is shorter so that brings the need to cut and move motors mounts about 1/2 or so to the left. That in turn puts the intake boot into the rear shock so I had to use the piece between the head and carb from the XR as it is more offset and it still doesn't fit perfect. It also means that your header pipe hits the down tube on the frame so I had to do some grinding there and the kick start needs some grinding as it hits the frame as well. The upper frame mount bolts under the fuel tank needed to be ground so they didn't rub the tank. I had to cut of some of the case molding on the bottom of the XL engine and I think I had to trim the top motor mount also. With all that being said it can be done but there is some work involved so sometimes when it is said "yea it will bolt right up" it may not actually "bolt right up".  Lol.  All in all I  always enjoy an experience when it comes to dirt bikes! ?

The 84-85 200 frame is not condusive to 2 valve swaps. All the motor mounts are different. These threads usually stop here, when that super cheap xr stops being super cheap.

I had bought an '85 xr200r for $125, missing the entire top end and whole clutch side, but most everything else was there. After seeing the price of the rfvc parts on ebay I said hell with that motor. I have a spare motor from my '85 atc200x I was going to try putting in, but when I set it in the frame I saw the motor mounts weren't matching up, I gave up on that idea as well. 

Like the other guys said, your idea can be pretty costly, unless you have some pretty good fab skills. 

When you say "the motor is too bad to be fixed", what are you considering "too bad"? 

Daniel

If "the motor mounts don't line up" is your only problem then it should be a breeze. Removing and relocating motor mounts and is fairly easy...?

You're right, it will be something simple, when I decide to do something with it. But at the time, I just wanted something I could ride.

However, now that I have one to ride, I think I'm going to use the '85 frame, and put in the old atc 200 motor I have. No clutch, pull rope start. Won't be a hardcore trail bike, but be fun in the slow tight stuff. 

Post up some pics when you do...👍

It's probably gonna be quite some time before it'll happen, but I have most of what's needed to get it done, so I might make it happen in the future. Have too many other projects to try getting done and work has been shitty and slow lately, so hopefully one day soon

Putting a XL185 motor into a 86+ XR200R chassis is pretty much bolt in except as noted.  The problem is the OP has a RFVC 250 chassis which uses an entirely different motor and mount system. I've owned those XR250Rs, and XR200s, and I've done engine swaps. The two valve engines (XL/XR185/200) are based on a different engine family than the RFVC 4 valve engines and the motor mounts are in different locations so you will never be able to bolt a two valve motor into a RFVC 4 valve frame. It would be a project similar to installing a XR motor into a RM chassis (I've done that).

I did put a 1990 xr 200 into a 1985 xr250 frame. Swapped exhaust and air boxe and made new front and top motor mounts.. love the bike, I don't know what level your skills are, but I found it to be an easy build.IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0747.JPG

The rocker arms are in a bad situation and i cannot find new ones

The camshaft can be fixed

I quit from the project for a while....

"When you put problems on the shelf they are corrected after a while"

We will see!