Valve against ship bucket?

Sure, if you want your valve train to explode the minute you start up the engine.  

Tight valves are not the end of the world as long as the engine will start.  The primary problem tight valves cause is difficult starting because they are not closing properly.

I would suggest you go find a mechanic to do this work as you clearly do not understand the relationship of the valve/shim/bucket components.

I appreciate your vast knowledge and how great you answered my question before being a jerk. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GSD962 said:

I appreciate your vast knowledge and how great you answered my question before being a jerk. Thanks.

:lol:

I apologize if I wasn't clear. My only question is if the valve can actually be against the bucket with no shim. I've never run into it before. Yes or no will suffice

29 minutes ago, GSD962 said:

I apologize if I wasn't clear. My only question is if the valve can actually be against the bucket with no shim. I've never run into it before. Yes or no will suffice

if you are at the correct top dead center no it should not or your valve/head is toast

The post didn't load the information like I wanted it to. The valves aren't too tight. Just a minor amount out of spec. I was trying to do some research to see if it HAD to have a shim in the bucket or could the valve be against the bucket with no shim. Sorry guys. I'm not sure why the post didn't put that part in. I haven't ever actually done a re shim job with no shim. Bike runs fine, starts great, Idles great. Just a little inquisitive if it's doable.

If it's so tight that you can only get in spec without the shim in place something is badly worn out.

In the case of a modern 4t MX engine, it's probably the valve itself. It might be time for some new valves and tube of lapping compound. 

The seats can also get beaten down into the head causing loss of clearance, that's common on Chinese bike engines (and any engine made by Mitsubishi, big or small), but I've not heard of that being a common issue on any other bike engines. 

On 4/2/2017 at 4:54 PM, GSD962 said:

Ask a wildly stupid question and you will get a stupid answer.  

You think engine makers add parts that don't do anything and can just be discarded?  Did you need someone to tell you not to hit yourself in the head with a hammer?  I answered your question with a bit of humor.

Edited by CDNSXV