Lightest Clutch Pull

I really need to lighten my YZ 250 clutch pull. It's pretty stiff to modulate with one finger and is really holding me back on nasty ST. Part of it is adjusting the lever in to where I can pull it more easily with one finger, it mashes my other fingers. Any suggestion on a good lever or set up would be appreciated.

I'm in same boat, I'm not ready to buy a recluse clutch. One thing I'm doing is putting yz250x clutch springs in mine they are not as stiff as yz250. About 25$. Next thing I'm looking at buying is a asv c6 pro clutch lever kind of pricy but looks like it has a lot of adjustments. About 130$. 

• Like 2

I had a ktm before snagged a tree and ripped the hydraulic clutch lever and cable spewing fluid all over. For that happening to me I steer away from hydraulic clutch. I'm waiting on my frame to get powdercoated to put my bike back together and try the setup I told you. So I can't tell you for sure how much easier it will be. I went to dealer and pulled clutch in on both yz250 and yz250x the yz250x was dramatically easier to pull in. That's y I'm going that route.

• Like 1

We put a Magura hydraulic on an 02 YZ426F that had a really hard clutch pull. Actually to stiff to use except for starts. After installing the Magura (took about an hour) the pull is much lighter and very usable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:

I really need to lighten my YZ 250 clutch pull. It's pretty stiff to modulate with one finger and is really holding me back on nasty ST. Part of it is adjusting the lever in to where I can pull it more easily with one finger, it mashes my other fingers. Any suggestion on a good lever or set up would be appreciated.

Slide the perch medially, if you have not yet done so. Keeps it from mashing your pinky, and puts the end of the lever at the larger fingers to improve leverage. 

Edit: I see you already did that.  

Edited by clappedoutkx
Can't read.
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried one of these?
lever14.jpg
This is a righteous stunt metal righteous stunt clutch lever. http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/
These are popular with the wr250r guys, they have the easiest pull of any lever and no slop like the cheap moose easy pull lever.
This is a picture of the shorty but they come in standard length too.

Those are really nice looking. 105 bucks though.

I got the Pro Taper profile pro assembly and really like it. Has lots of adjustment to bring the lever closer or futher from the bars, and has a sealed bearing at the pivot which gives it a nice smooth/ lighter pull. It's also unbreakable which is nice if you don't run the wrap around bark busters. I'd say its probably about the same as what you would get from ASV, and around the same price, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

I have a Magura and do not like it at all. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with mine, or if they all feel this way. The clutch pull didn't feel much lighter, and the release did not feel smooth at all. The pull feels fine, but it almost feels choppy when releasing the lever. I don't see how there could be air in the system causing the issue when they are already bleed from the factory. You just hook it up and pump the lever until you get the right amount of free play, so idk what is up with it. It's not drastic, but it is noticeable enough to bother me, so I ditched it for now. Maybe I'll mess around with it again sometime, but I'm perfectly happy with the cable right now.  

If you're curious about the Magura, I can throw this one in a $5 flat rate box and let you test it out. Maybe you can get it to work better than I could. If you like it, you can buy it, and if not, just send it back. It would only be a $10 experiment if you end up not liking it. I personally would go the lighter spring route first though. It's cheap and could be all you need. I was just offering in case you were considering the hydro but are on the fence about it. Sounds like you are looking for a cheaper option though. 

• Like 5

You can drill another hole in your lever for the cable end.  It changes the leverage for easier pull. I'd post a pic if I could find the one I did.  I don't like lighter clutch springs. I'm not really bothered by the clutch pull anyway.

If you're curious about the Magura, I can throw this one in a $5 flat rate box and let you test it out. Maybe you can get it to work better than I could. If you like it, you can buy it, and if not, just send it back. It would only be a $10 experiment if you end up not liking it. I personally would go the lighter spring route first though. It's cheap and could be all you need. I was just offering in case you were considering the hydro but are on the fence about it. Sounds like you are looking for a cheaper option though. 

Yeah what I really need is better lever placement. I'll probably try the springs and a more adjustable lever assembly. I love the CLever Midwest Engineering makes but they don't make it for a cable clutch.
  • Like 2