1987 XR600R Starts good cold, not so good hot...

Hello everybody. My 1987 XR600R is having a slight issue with not wanting to start once it has run a while. It also doesn't really like to idle once it is hot. I make sure it has enough oil in it every time I ride it. I really love this bike even though I haven't had it a while so I would really like to get it to run well for me. I know these twin carbs have an adjustment for the opening of them but I don't know how to mess with that to try to fix it. Any information would be helpful. 

17761345_10211664181507264_942325671_o.jpg

Woah wait that makes sense... it doesnt want to start with the choke on, does that mean the choke is ALWAYS on right now? Damn i feel dumb now... so how do i reverse it then? ive had the carbs off and i bought a jet and gasket kit for them and installed the new jets. 

I've had a couple of those bikes in the past, and had similar issues when they warmed up/got hot. The stator was failing. You might need a new or rebuilt stator

• Like 1

so i looked on some other forums, one harley forum about a bike not wanting to run when hot blamed a ground wire on the issue. now thinking back, right before the bike died, like literally less than 5 seconds before it stopped running, i went through a large water puddle which may have gotten water splashed up under the seat where my ground wire is. could that be my issue?

Cleaning won't do anything for it. There's nothing to clean anyway , it's bathed in oil.

A tight intake valve will make starting a nightmare, especially when hot.  A too-high float level can also cause starting problems when the engine is hot as it will richen the A/F ratio.

I LOVE those old twin-carb XR600s...  They were BEASTS!

• Like 1

Fuel, air, spark

Fuel and air- too rich and it'll be hard to start hot.

Cracking throttle might help a little.

Weak stator when hot or pulse generator resistance going up when hot are 2 other usual suspects to go along with what's been stated.

Make sure choke plate has been updated!

• Like 1

Fuel, air, spark

Fuel and air- too rich and it'll be hard to start hot.

Cracking throttle might help a little.

Weak stator when hot or pulse generator resistance going up when hot are 2 other usual suspects to go along with what's been stated.

Make sure choke plate has been updated!

87 twin carb = no choke plate. Fuel enrichment circuit type choke.

The rest of this post is spot on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

A tight intake valve will make starting a nightmare, especially when hot.  A too-high float level can also cause starting problems when the engine is hot as it will richen the A/F ratio.

I LOVE those old twin-carb XR600s...  They were BEASTS!

I had the same year as well as some others.  I have an xl600 that was one of the first batches.  My neighbor sold it to me for a great price.   Floats were high,  wouldn't start hot.  4300 miles.  I had seen it on lots of others.   set the floats set the valves.   I am assuming you have adjusted the fuel screw?   a 15 dollar multimeter will tell you lots about your coil and stator.   

• Like 2

A good diagnostic I forgot is to shut the fuel off about 10-20 seconds before you shut the bike off. Drains the bowls down a bit.

• Like 1