Hey all

right now I am on a 2015 CRF250L it has 1500 miles on it. Fmf power bomb header, exhaust, fuel controller, 13t front sprocket, 42t rear. New TR8 tires, bar risers, pillow top grips, single dual sport mirror, flatlands skiplate, heavy duty clutch and springs, removed judder rings. Removed snorkel and backfire screen. Just changed the air filter and oil. I still have all stock parts that could go back on the bike. Nothing wrong with the bike. Goes great. Extremely dependable.

BUT.... 

i want more. I like the dual sport just ease of not loading it up to take and ride. I want a more capable bike on the trails, in the sand pits and woods. But I want reliable. I don't race or anything. I am on back dirt roads, woods, atv trails, sand pits etc.

i don't want to go any bigger than a 450cc.

I also thinking possibly wanting a bike timbersled capable if I desire down the road. ( I live in northern Maine ) it may never happen but who knows. 

I just don't know what to do and or get. I know there will be a million opinions. Do I try to sell my crf250l or trade it. ( I know it is not a real expensive bike to begin with) Or put it all back to stock and swap it and try to sell the aftermarket parks on EBay or uncle Henry's  or just keep the bike? I just think if I get a better bike I probably won't ride the 250L much. 

Thanks all!!

George

What are judder rings? If you can afford it, I would keep the bike to let a friend use it. Other than not doing fork and shock springs, you've done a lot to it and it would be sad to get rid of it knowing you probably won't get back what you've got into it. I've had my 03 DRZ400E for 8years, I plated it a couple years ago and couldn't be happier, it's a great bike. My buddy rides a factory street legal WR250, it's fuel injected and very peppy for a 250cc, he changed the exhaust and re-mapped it and is very happy as well. Good luck 

Edited by Dmouse

Provided the second bike is totally different from the first, maybe.  I always ride the same bike, creature of habit I guess.  When I end up with a second bike one of them sits, and that bugs me, so one gets sold.  

One street, one dirt makes sense a little (no street for me), two dirt bikes is redundant imo.

Judder springs are plates in the clutch that Let clutch kind of slip to be more forgiving when letting the clutch out kinda like for a new rider who is learning. 

I understand I do have a lot into the bike.  I did think about doing the shocks and forks for the race tech set up.  That's even more money though into a bike that is heavy in lacking in the power department.  I just can't justify going what's a KTM which would be a powerful bike and street legal they want to crazy amount of money.  I'm thinking about a WR450F or a  WR450R.  I'm not a 100%sure what the actual differences are. 

Ideally i'm thinking a YZ450FX. 

It really all boils down to money. I Would really like to sell the Honda to someone of Who wants to get out of it what I've been trying to get out of it with all of the aftermarket parts.  someone who appreciates what's been done to the bike already.

When I bought the bike I also bought the extended warranty I've got another three years of full coverage on the bike that would go with it if i sell it.

I just don't know what to do. 

Edited by gagallagher04401

Sounds like you got it from a  Honda dealer, right? Put it back to stock, see if you can trade it for a 250X, or 450X. You'll probably have to come up with some cash, unless it's an older model than yours. Sell the aftermarket stuff on Ebay/ craigslist.

What are the plating rules in Maine?  Can you convert an off-road bike to plated? 

If you can do that, then moving up to a wide ratio 4 stroke 450 cc such as WR450F, YZ450FX, CRF450X, KXL450r, KTM 450 XC-W, Husky FE450 etc might be the way to go if you want to use it for a Timbersled in the winter.

There is not a WR450R.  There is however, a WR250F (enduro/offroad) and a WR250R (Dual Sport).  Neither one will be suitable for Timbersled conversion

You are able to play in off-road bike in Maine to make it dual-purpose people have but it can take quite a bit of jumping through hoops. I would hate to put the money into a bank to make a dual purpose and then not be able to get it plated that would piss me off. 

If I knew I wasn't going to do a timber sled, which I may never do,  I think I would be happy with a DRZ 400 but I hate to go back to carburetor and I hate to have to modify another bike from scratch. 

I think the KTM 350 EXC and KTM 500 EXC can be plated from the factory.  Not sure if the Husky FE 350/450/501 are also 50 state street legal.  Beta 390/430/480 also has a street legal model...I believe the RS.  Those are very pricey options and likely need to be purchased new unless you can find a used one that is just a couple years old.  The Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki (RMX-450Z) enduro models are not going to be street legal as produced by the factory and you will need to go through whatever plating requirements or offroad conversions are required.