Beta Forums vs Facebook Groups?

I know a lot of us post on multiple Beta Forums and Facebook groups

I post here, on betarider.org and also on  www.betaxtreme.com  

I also know that some post on various Beta Facebook groups and I wonder if the social media thing is preferred, or are these good ole fashioned forums preferred?

I was reading somewhere that social media was expected to make forums obsolete, but I for one do not like Facebook at all for various reasons and I don't think they stand a chance of replacing forums like these.....but I'm pretty much anti-social media.  I know a lot of people love it...but it's just not for me and I know I may be the minority there?

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom
  • Like 2

I prefer thumpertalk. The xtrainer Facebook page is better if you need quick help and is very good, but I just like forums for some reason. Is one going to last longer as a reference?

• Like 1

Interesting comments, didnt know about betaxtreme, looks good

My ten cents worth, I am the same, I post on various too, the biggest difference is Facebook rolls along very quickly and info drops away where forums are more structured with fixed menus to retain info which is great.

The down side to forums is our ID is own made up name and "some" people join forums to be nothing more than F&%Kwitts which is a shame when the rest are contributing valuable information for fellow riders.

FB is you own profile so it is harder for Fwitts to hide, this generally makes a happier and more positive contribution and not so hard for moderators to look after.

I know most of the forums I subscribe to have got quieter with FB becoming a huge player but I still see good value in forums.

• Like 1

No facebook for me. I regularly post here and lurk over at Betarider from time to time. I try to keep it fairly serious on the technical sides of the forum, but do mess around a lot in some other areas of TT. 

On this forum, I think most of the information is correct, or at least based in some fact...however, there is a diverse group of riders with different abilities and preferences on here. What I like in a bike set-up might be totally different than what some others might prefer. 

• Like 1

I prefer TT as well. betarider.org has way too much misinformation and BS to sift through. There are just two or three guys including the admin who argue like little girls if you have any good info to post.

Try to go back and research a topic for anything on facebook and it's long gone, or some people can see it and others can't. FB is fine for bitching, whining, posting pictures of all your meals no one could care less about, or cat pictures.

TT and the one with the three little girls is more of a data base, all thou you to wade though the goof balls, and same questions asked a billion times.    

After the election I banned my self from FB, should have done it sooner.   

Edited by ktm300
  • Like 2

I have been trying to get an account on beta rider for about 3 weeks, no luck, I emailed the admin asking why I wont be approved they told me they thought I was a spammer so I emailed them back a pic of me and my bike to prove I wasn't and still no account, don't get it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lennie said:

I have been trying to get an account on beta rider for about 3 weeks, no luck, I emailed the admin asking why I wont be approved they told me they thought I was a spammer so I emailed them back a pic of me and my bike to prove I wasn't and still no account, don't get it.

I would not worry too much about it Lennie. It's a horrible forum. If you take the advice of some of the idiots who post there you can actually get hurt. Most of the suspension advice over there is for slow eastern riding. I tried a few times to post some really good suspension settings for fast western style riding in the rocks and was blasted by the admin via PM. 

Heh, I'm also not on facebook. I wonder if it's just the old farts staying off of facebook? I used to have an account years ago but didn't get the point so I closed it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the minority in my dislike of facebook and social media in general!

When I was on KTM's I spent a ton of time on ktmtalk, and TT.

I'm now pretty much just on TT and betaxtreme when I can't get on betarider (seems to be down often)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WoodsRacerDotCom said:

I know a lot of us post on multiple Beta Forums and Facebook groups

I post here, on betarider.org and also on  www.betaxtreme.com  

I also know that some post on various Beta Facebook groups and I wonder if the social media thing is preferred, or are these good ole fashioned forums preferred?

I was reading somewhere that social media was expected to make forums obsolete, but I for one do not like Facebook at all for various reasons and I don't think they stand a chance of replacing forums like these.....but I'm pretty much anti-social media.  I know a lot of people love it...but it's just not for me and I know I may be the minority there?

1 minute ago, Marylander said:

Heh, I'm also not on facebook. I wonder if it's just the old farts staying off of facebook? I used to have an account years ago but didn't get the point so I closed it.

I use facebook for connecting to old friends and PM for rides with my old racing/riding buddies. I'm careful about posting political stuff and anything work related.

The cool thing about these forums is the ability to go back and check out what you or someone else posted about something you might have forgotten to write down in your notes. Such as a suspension setting, jetting spec, etc. I actually went back and checked out a certain tire choice, preload setting, linkage guard position for an event I did a few years back. It's posted here and easy to find. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballisticexchris said:

Most of the suspension advice over there is for slow eastern riding.

Mental note, I should go to betarider for suspension advice... ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lennie said:

Try just signing in.  I didn't get approval for like three weeks and I tried signing in and it turns out they'd never emailed my approval but had approved the login.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keepshoveling said:

Try just signing in.  I didn't get approval for like three weeks and I tried signing in and it turns out they'd never emailed my approval but had approved the login.  

Sorry for the problems.    Google (and maybe others) started blocking the e-mails from the forum web server.   So the approval confirmation e-mail is not being received by the user.   I will work to resolve this issue this weekend.

Thanks,

jeff

aka webmaster betarider.org discussion forum.

• Like 2

I like anything that I can get info on.. but the facebook thing and the game playing by some there sucks.. but facebook does have a bunch of benefits that I never saw coming. For one thing I can find more products on Facebook that I can't or have a hard time finding online or on threads. xtreme race components for example is a source for beta parts in NZ. I couldn't find it anywhere else but facebook..earlier at least.  Here's another thing. You don't have to post to others on facebook if you don't want to..just adjust your settings to be as private as you want to be.. and do what I did.. I signed up my Cat. Others have signed up their dog.. then go in and look around and see what you can't get access to otherwise and not have everyone looking at you in a fishbowl.. . I looked at duel gravity parts for Beta on facebook first also.. I couldn't find it online in other places earlier.. and there are just different communities for Beta that have no clue of thumpertalk, betarider, Betaxtreme etc..and of course it's a world wide community.. It's another tool.. All that being said I like dirt bike sites..and I try to stay away from going crazy like how some are... I am meeting and staying in touch with some people now that I never did see or hear from for decades.. I just met a friend from racing in the 70's that moved. It was a good connection. There is some family that I can get in touch with too.. Some like being in touch with family and some don't for a variety of reasons also.  All in all I still like the dirt bike site best.. sometimes there are archives which help me find bike parts or whatever better..and the conversations flow better. I have seen where there have been at least 3 Beta sites that have bit the dust though..and that is a bummer to me. There were some Betatalk sites that had great info that went belly up and the good info is just lost. Betatalk was great and then it went to Threatracing.. and then tons of great info was purged...:thumbsdn:..then the threat racing version didn't work.. it became sort of an extention of the company or something.. bummer..it went down..Get dirty tried to get things going and I tried to post what I could there..That one was better but it didn't work out eventually either.. When the last Betatalk site died at Get dirty that's how Thumpertalk Beta group grew even bigger . We were in the exotics before..for those of us who weren't around.. Betarider came next.. and now Betaxtreme. I try to post up whatever I can on all the threads as I remember how early guys like Kenaroo helped start off the shared information for all of us in the Beta community with betamotorcycles.net. I don't see him around.. I think he got injured bad and he just hasn't been around.. but I really appreciate he and other Beta riders at the time helping me early on.. They were super nice and helpful..and knowledgeable..and intelligent.. just not dicks like I had experienced with some other sites of other brands. They were all little older vet riders that knew what they liked and didn't like. I appreciated that.. and they had the highest brand loyalty I'd seen.. I posted alot on TT partly because the Beta community lost 3 (or more) online communities... I appreciate how others were nice to me and helped me..and I love the brand and how it works for me.  I posted some for Betarider and now that is going good..everyone posting a little supports our group and provides info that helps us . I'm posting on Betaxtreme now and invite whomever to post up there too.. just to get things going. The more info and conversations the better. I look over at betarider when i can't find info at TT.. The same can be said with Betaxtreme.. So talk about what isn't talked about at TT or betarider.. I like them all including facebook..but I'm more incognito on facebook and still have access.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

some facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/XtremeRaceComponents/

https://www.facebook.com/duelgravityengineering/

I will say that the first time I saw a new xtrainer being ridden was from a guy in italy..and it was on a facebook xtrainer site.. it was in one of these.. I signed up for it..but have to look which one.. There are sources that are worthwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=beta xtrainer

• Like 1