TT-R125 to CRF250R?

I am trying to upgrade from a ttr 125 to a crf 250r my dad is concerned that the crf will have to much power for me. I am 5'5 126 lbs 15 yrs old. 

Since you mention a TTR125 I'm guessing you are more into trail / off-roading than motocross (MX tracks), correct ?

For motocross riding, the logical step up is a CRF150RB (big wheel version), for trail riding it's a CRF230F or TTR230.

An experienced rider of you stature can handle a CRF250R but there are much better choices for general off-roading than an MX race bike.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Better choice than an R for trail riding,

very good multi-purpose bike from slow technical to spririted faster paced stuff but out of it's element for serious motocross (tracks)

but, keeping in consideration that although de-tuned for better low end grunt, it's still a performance oriented higher rpm MX based engine

meaning it's less torquey at extremely low rpms versus a CRF230F and, requires much more maintenance.

At 5'5" / 125lbs you'll find an X bit high and heavy, and quite a handful to manhandle around/pick it up after a tumble.

When I was considering a trail bike, it was a toss up between buying a 230F or a 250X,

for 90% of my riding a 230F would be better suited but it's limited suspension adjustability was a big turn off.

I'd gladly trade away some of my 250X's engine performance for the simpler / bulletproofness of the aircooled 230F.

Edited by mlatour

You are getting to the point of 'what are my friends riding,  and what kind of riding will we be likely to do'.  You may also be due for a growth spurt and if you are,  the crf250 would be a little more doable.   You don't mention your experience or much background.   The crf250f in used form can be a really hard to pass crash course in maintenance.   Really hard.   I just don't have enough information to give advise to steer you towards the crf.   an xr200 or ttr225-230 would be a good stoping point too,  and get you used to a heavier rig cheaper and let you learn some more about maintenance if that is something you don't have much of.  If you don't know where to start when someone says 'shim the valves',   I am thinking something with rocker arms is more your bike.   If you want better suspension than that,  consider one of the 85cc/100cc two strokes with the larger wheels,  or a 125 mx bike and plan some modifictions.