06 rmz450 chewed up top end

So I picked up an 06 for Super cheap, it ran but very rough. Took it apart and the carb was gunked up. Then I checked the valves... With no valve shim on exhaust 1, I couldn't even fit a.04 feeler gauge in. The cam holder journals are so worn the oil passages are gone and the cams are <.15mm below spec. I'm bringing the head to a respected shop to get their opinion on the head cam journals, valves and seats. What usually causes this? Blocked oil passeges and dirt in the oil would be my guess. I'm tempted to do a full rebuild to check the bottom end at this point. 

Anyone have any extra cams or holders?

IMG_2894.JPG

Edited by Jon Broadbent
  • Like 1

Yep... 9 times out of 10 it is caused by dirty oil, or lack of oil. I would be weary of the bottom end as well. Your best bet is probably to find a whole new head. 

9 hours ago, BDubb106 said:

Yep... 9 times out of 10 it is caused by dirty oil, or lack of oil. I would be weary of the bottom end as well. Your best bet is probably to find a whole new head. 

Thanks for the input. Do you know what years have compatible parts? I thought it was 05-07 then I've seen 07-09. I'm going to drop it off at the shop today and see what they think...

From what I've seen 05-06 are the same and 07 is different. 08+ will not interchange unless I am mistaken.

Your best bet would be to look for a used or refurbed head on eBay or here. 

2 hours ago, BDubb106 said:

From what I've seen 05-06 are the same and 07 is different. 08+ will not interchange unless I am mistaken.

Your best bet would be to look for a used or refurbed head on eBay or here. 

Thanks. Local shop referred me to Engine Dynamics out of CA that specialize in all things including burnt up journals and head work. In the past it was about half the price of an OEM head- Apparently they put a sleeve bearing in which would make sense in the first place. I'll give them a call and see what happens. Maybe I'll just get a set of hot cams as well.

• Like 1

Pretty common issue on the 05-06 models that came with a crap cam chain tensioner. I haven't heard any complaints of faulty oil pumps or anything like that from that year range, but no bikes are immune to that problem. I've seen complete heads for the 05-06 for 300-400 bucks on eBay. I'm in California as well and I have looked into engine dynamics and they are pricey for sure. Just make sure whatever you do, replace the cam chain and the tensioner with a manual one. I have an 05 and she is still kicking on a factory top and bottom end. No issues to this dayIMG_0387.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xMUDKINGx said:

Pretty common issue on the 05-06 models that came with a crap cam chain tensioner. I haven't heard any complaints of faulty oil pumps or anything like that from that year range, but no bikes are immune to that problem. I've seen complete heads for the 05-06 for 300-400 bucks on eBay. I'm in California as well and I have looked into engine dynamics and they are pricey for sure. Just make sure whatever you do, replace the cam chain and the tensioner with a manual one. I have an 05 and she is still kicking on a factory top and bottom end. No issues to this dayIMG_0387.JPG

Awesome looking bike. I spoke with Engine Dynamics and it is $318 for machining, $50 for the bearing inserts and shipping both ways. Local shop quoted me ~$600 on a new head plus holders. I'll pick up some cams and valves and have a new top end. In the mean time, the exhaust valves are toast but someone put in new valve seats and guides which are nearly new. It's a shame some kid ran old/low oil and chewed up the cams.

Edited by Jon Broadbent
  • Like 2

Well I pulled off the oil pump #1 and it's got some scoring probably leading to low oil pressure. I've got a replacement on the way. Bottom end looked awesome- Well within spec. Keepers and retainers on the exhaust side were fairly worn so all of that has been replaced along with new valves. I'm hoping some gently used cam holders will get me in spec and through the year. I'll keep updating as the rebuild progresses. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 4:11 AM, xMUDKINGx said:

Holy crap! And I thought my '05 looked good! That thing looks sick! Is that grip tape or foam on the side of the aluminum frame near the kick starter? I was thinking about adding grip tape to mine.

Edited by kNewc
  • Like 1

Holy crap! And I thought my '05 looked good! That thing looks sick! Is that grip tape or foam on the side of the aluminum frame near the kick starter? I was thinking about adding grip tape to mine.

Thanks man! Yeah it is grip called 3M "safety walk". Works great for grip, doesn't tear up boots, and looks better than the black run marks on the frame. It will run you about 6 dollars and 20 minutes to tackle that job. I'll post a little tutorial on here in a separate thread. IMG_0547.JPG
  • Like 1

Thanks man! I appreciate it. I actually saw that exact product at Menards this last weekend so I'll have to pick some up! No joke either - I was looking for some velcro for my knee pads and they had a 3M section near the fasteners lol.  That doesn't look bad at all I'll have to try it out.

• Like 1

Small update-

In the first photo, on the left was the better of two cam holders. The other one was so worn it didn't have an oil passage and both cams were .10-.15mm below spec. The right is my buddies 08 cam holder for caparison.

I found a set of cams and holders that were in very good condition- Plastigauge'd it and everything is also in spec. Got the new valves in and there's plenty of room from the cam lobes to the tappet buckets (before the ex cam lobes were riding on the tappets)  Bottom end shows no need for replacement yet but I did order a new oil pump #1 as the old one had some wear.

I should have her up and running soon.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:11 AM, xMUDKINGx said:

Just make sure whatever you do, replace the cam chain and the tensioner with a manual one. I have an 05 and she is still kicking on a factory top and bottom end. No issues to this day.

The 05-06 come with manual cam chain adjusters OEM and there's nothing wrong with them if you actually adjust them. Suzuki didn't go auto until 07. Not sure what you mean?

Edited by NVDESERTPETE

The 05-06 come with manual cam chain adjusters OEM and there's nothing wrong with them if you actually adjust them. Suzuki didn't go auto until 07. Not sure what you mean?

The 05-06 did not come with a true manual adjuster. It relies on a spring to set the proper cam chain tension. If that spring losses tension, it won't tighten the timing chain enough. Don't get me wrong, they are good for a while, those springs are turning 12 years old now. I think it varies on hours too. Over tightening the locking nut on the OEM tensioners can make groves and not allow the shaft to "eject" far enough too.

12 minutes ago, xMUDKINGx said:

The 05-06 did not come with a true manual adjuster. It relies on a spring to set the proper cam chain tension. If that spring losses tension, it won't tighten the timing chain enough. Don't get me wrong, they are good for a while, those springs are turning 12 years old now. I think it varies on hours too. Over tightening the locking nut on the OEM tensioners can make groves and not allow the shaft to "eject" far enough too.

The adjuster shaft has a flat which rides in a completely circular housing. Tightening deformations from the locking bolt and lock nut will not effect the operation if properly done. I suppose the flat could rotate out of position and then the locking bolt would come down on top of the rounded portion which could cause a problem which means you don't know what you are doing or just wolfed down a chocolate blunt or polished off a 12 pack. I have never heard of spring failure although it could happen and the locking bolt and nut were not properly tightened. The down side of a completely manual adjuster is over tightening the cam chain or if the adjuster also comes loose for some reason. There was a post here years ago where someone had modified the stock adjuster by drilling a hole in the back end and threading it. A properly sized bolt and lock nut were used in conjunction with the spring and plunger. Suspenders with belt with Velcro to hold your pants up!

• Like 1