Will a 93 XR600 carby be too big for my XL500?

It looks to be just over 40mm from the grainy pics I got off the bloke selling it.

I've read in a couple of places that the mikuni 38mm is a good upgrade on these, just wondering if the XR600 carby is too big? Will I have to rejet it and how hard is it to find jets for them?

Not much point going that big,, neither inlet manifold  or intake rubbers will be usable,, and inlet port of head is so  much smaller anyway.

Your carb can be swapped for an XR carb of same vintage without need for faffing about, or can be bored 2mm extra to make a big difference and still be completly usable.

• Like 2

I'm going to do some porting while I have the motor apart, will it still breath better with stock valves? I was told the standard valves are too small for decent power..
Will I get it using the 38mm XR600 carby efficiently with a mild port and clean up along with 1 mm oversize piston?

Also, I'm looking at doing a 12 volt conversion with plenty of lights for bush riding, I've found a bloke that will give me the stator, flywheel and ignition pickup out of a 1980 XL250s, are they good enough to run a decent set of lights?

My man. I represent Ricky Stator to the fullest. Ive been using his products for awhile now. But yesterday. Randomly. I met the owner and his wife and kids and dog...and I gotta say, I have ten times the respect and representation for his products. I dont know about other bikes stators. I know about rewrapping the stock stator (which is what Id do if I was you) next to buying a Ricky. And its worth it to me to buy a Ricky. Cause my rewound stator works fine. But I had to sew copper and do a bunch of stuff. With a Ricky. I just bought awesomeness, plugged and played.

• Like 1

$$?? Link to a Ricky and a tutorial on how to rewind the stator, I rebuilt hundreds of starter motors and alternators while doing my apprenticeship, rebound fields in old starters.. I could easily rewind one if I knew the gauge of wire and how many turns.. thank-you! You planted a seed. Just need the info now.. will keep you all posted with pics and a new feed.

I was told 18 but used 30 gauge. I wound two circuits, copying Ricky!, and just "S'd" around the things. One clockwise and one counter clockwise. Not sure where I learned it from but Im guessing Thumpertalk had its influence! But I go to alotta old man from the sticks of Mexico mechanics that can power their house off of an alternator they wound! I watch and learn. Doesnt mean its right! But its easy, if youre rewinding, you already have a stator, just copy it with thicker wire, its what I did.
Its cool to do something yourself, and if it works its cool to use it, but on my momma, a Ricky is the proper choice...
But you sound way more seasoned than me in this field

12 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

I was told 18 but used 30 gauge. I wound two circuits, copying Ricky!, and just "S'd" around the things. One clockwise and one counter clockwise. Not sure where I learned it from but Im guessing Thumpertalk had its influence! But I go to alotta old man from the sticks of Mexico mechanics that can power their house off of an alternator they wound! I watch and learn. Doesnt mean its right! But its easy, if youre rewinding, you already have a stator, just copy it with thicker wire, its what I did.
Its cool to do something yourself, and if it works its cool to use it, but on my momma, a Ricky is the proper choice...
But you sound way more seasoned than me in this field

Here you go

• Like 1