Best skid plate for 05 wr450f

My 05 has half ass metal protection on both sides. Nothing for the game down there. Seeing what would be best for complete coverage and protection for the water pump and other vital components down there  

I am a little skeptical of the polyurethane covers, aircraft grade aluminum seems to look more robust

thoughts?

My 05 has half ass metal protection on both sides. Nothing for the game down there. Seeing what would be best for complete coverage and protection for the water pump and other vital components down there  

I am a little skeptical of the polyurethane covers, aircraft grade aluminum seems to look more robust
 thoughts?

I was going to put an aftermarket one on and reassessed, thought the stock one looked fairly good, curious if most guys are swapping them out or running stock (mines an '06, not sure if there're the same).

1 hour ago, Toad Atsma said:

I was going to put an aftermarket one on and reassessed, thought the stock one looked fairly good, curious if most guys are swapping them out or running stock (mines an '06, not sure if there're the same).

I have an 06 also. I'm running the the Ricochet aluminum skid plate. It has taken a beating.

• Like 1

I have an 06 also. I'm running the the Ricochet aluminum skid plate. It has taken a beating.

Did you have any issues getting the rear T40 screws/clamps installed?

I tried to put a Ricochet on my 05 WR450 tonight, and no matter where I put those clamps, it seemed like my rear screws were an inch too short. The rear screws I got in my kit are 20mm long.

I had the three front screws barely engaged just to hold it up, but couldn't get the rear secured.

2 hours ago, MiWiAu said:

MiWiAu- yea, the rear 2 spacers barley make contact with the bolts cranked down  I may have even put larger spacers in the fill the gap. Def the front 2 ar not hitting but the most important space is the one just under the oil frame drain plug at the top of the skid plate.

i didn't want any metal to metal contact with the oil frame in play

2 hours ago, MiWiAu said:

Did you have any issues getting the rear T40 screws/clamps installed?

I tried to put a Ricochet on my 05 WR450 tonight, and no matter where I put those clamps, it seemed like my rear screws were an inch too short. The rear screws I got in my kit are 20mm long.

I had the three front screws barely engaged just to hold it up, but couldn't get the rear secured.

I used ricochet skid plates on my 03 and my 06 with mo issue. I'm pretty sure the frames are the same. I'm not sure what spacer is being referred to.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by 1trackmind
Added more description.

I used ricochet skid plates on my 03 and my 06 with mo issue. I'm pretty sure the frames are the same. I'm not sure what spacer is being referred to.

Thanks a ton for the clamp images, @1trackmind. They helped immensely.

Through some additional trial and error, I left only the upper most front fastener loosely threaded, and placed the rear clamps as you showed in your images. I still had to "flex" the plate to get the threads to engage, then bottomed the rear clamps as I torqued everything down. (P.S. I didn't have any spacers in my kit either.)

Boy that thing is a snug/tight fit! At one point, I tried to slightly loosen the front upper left fastener, and the preload from the plate caused it to shoot out like a bullet!! Note to self for future removal. LOL

Anyways, it's all together now. Thanks again!!

No problem, glad I could help. Mine is loose, no preload when installing. Hopefully it will work out for you. Both of mine have taken a lot of hits. Some of the gouges were pretty surprising. 

• Like 1