97 rm250 fully rebuilt to rich?

Hey guys. A few months ago i bought a ragged out 97 rm250. Cylinder was gone and crank side to side play was TERRIBLE.plastics where trash seat everything pretty much. So i COMPLETELY rebuilt her. New crank. New stock size wiesco topend. Had cylinder plated and hatched. Put v force reeds on it and new pro circuit platinum exhaust with new pro circuit 304 factory sound silencer. She runs like a raped ape on crack..BUT its runnin rich as hell and hard to start. About 6 to 7 kicks sometimes. I jetted it to pro circuit chart and was rich. So i got my stock needle at the leanest postition. Got a 42 pilot in it and a 170 main. Also. The v force reeds had a gap in them.  I could see light through them..i didnt think i was supposed to see that on a set of BRAND NEW 160 dollar reeds. My elevation is about 1000 feet asl. What should my jetting be? Im mixing at 40:1 on 87 octane. Using the br8es plugs i Believe they are called. Ngk. And i tightened my gap a bit as well. She should fire one kick with all that compression.  Anyone can tell me where my jetting should be? Would be much appreciated...i mean..its better rich than lean..but im still lookin for that cardboard color on my plugs when im stuck with charcoal atm. Thanks in advance.

20170401_021140.jpg

20170401_144220.jpg

20170331_234407.jpg

• Like 1

Nice bike you got there mate, the jetting is in the leaner side which makes me think there is another problem, you pointed out the reeds are new yet have a gap? Something wrong there I just replaced my V3 peddles and they are flush no light .

have you checked the fuel bowl float height ? The needle clip should not be at the  furtherest top position ,again something wrong there .

The float seems to be set real low. Like it will be low on the bowl on the point of cantact with the needle seat. Do you know where it should be set? Flush with the carb? Also it does not like to idle. To get it to adle while its hot i have to run the curb idle screw alllll the way in.  Yet when its cold and i fire it up i have to run it wayyy out intil it warms up

Its the keihn 38mm. The pwk38 somthing . #7 slide. Stock needle. And the jets are as said above. I set the float alot richer. Almost level to the carb body. Almost.  And its wayyyyy to rich now. Im going to try and go really lean next i guess

I suspect it's the gap in your reeds causing problems. I had similar a gap issue with the V force reeds for my '98 RMX. Bought and returned 3 sets, all had warped cages in one way or another. At high RPMS the gap is not so much of an issue, but starting and low RPMS it was a huge problem. 

If you still have the stock reed block you could try flipping them over and reinstall, see if that helps with your rich and hard to start problems. If it is a sealing issue, I would suspect your current jetting to be too lean. 

This is what the gaps looked like on the last set I returned of brand new V force reeds....

IMG_1782.JPG.899dff15bdb317a4d24c394a5f84f4c8.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG.899dff15bdb317a4d24c394a5f84f4c8.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG.a98b537968d2fb64eb6126005147c3ae.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG.3086dac7ef61ef5c5ec25136ef72cfc0.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG.8ba7a5ca51b6e6b523ff5dbd8782c659.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

Judging from the last two pics,  the reeds won't be your problem IMO.  I would stop guessing at the float level and set it at factory.   It always seems foolish to me to chase jetting until you have an established float level,  and in most cases factory will work best for that.  If you took Procircuit's jetting advice,  and they didn't specify a different setting from OE,  then they intend their jetting to be best at the factory specified level.