Best first mods for the 230

I recently had a buddy just start learning to ride and he got an 05 230.  bike was in decent shape but there were some things that raised my eye from what the previous owner had done.  I was wondering what are the best mods you can start with? the only real mods he has on it is a pro circuit exhaust and works connection elite clutch assembly. I'm a big euro bike fan (i ride a 2013 Beta 350RR) but i gotta say this bike seems to be a good platform for ALOT of fun...

• Like 1

Suspension would be next on the list...

Good tires for the terrain you ride on too..

Bruce Triplett is known to be the best place to turn to to get the 230 suspension out of the danger zone and into the fun zone

• Like 4

Suspension would be next on the list...
Good tires for the terrain you ride on too..
Bruce Triplett is known to be the best place to turn to to get the 230 suspension out of the danger zone and into the fun zone

And I emailed Bruce Triplett about an hour ago after some digging around the forum.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bsanderson06 said:

What size rear tire do you think he could run without worrying about rubbing?

The standard tyre for these is 100/100-18. They don't make a great deal of power so there is no real advantage to dragging a bigger tyre around the countryside. I have been using Michelin AC10 since I have had the bike which was 4 years this January. Those tyres are cheap, work OK on tarmac and last reasonably well.

Definitely spend on suspension first, ste stock shock is quite horrible and the forks need some help.

• Like 1

I tried both an IRC VE-33 at 100/100-18 and 110/100-18 and I found the smaller tire worked better.  I believe it gets down deeper and hooks better for the sort of riding we do.

• Like 2

A big tire fits the 230 as mine is tall 400x18 Trials tire,but too big for stock motor. Perfect for my stroker 254cc. Correct jetting important. You can live with the so so forks,but rear shock will get you hurt. Cheap way out both ends great value Bruce Triplet on Susp. Have deep pockets$  many posts on other susp mods.

• Like 2

One thing I learned while living in Buffalo, NY for 31 years is that narrow tires work great and wide tires are all but worthless in low-traction conditions like mud and snow.  Likely the same applies to bikes.  Less contact width means less area for the same weight and therefore greater pressure on the tire contact area.  Have a look at old footage of old cars with narrow tires and how they got through the mud.

Pressure = Force(Weight) / Area(Width) so less area equates to more pressure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bsanderson06 said:

What size rear tire do you think he could run without worrying about rubbing?

Are the OE tires still on the bike?  It came with Pirelli Scorpion somethin-or-nother, not very good on harder rocky terrain.

What is the terrain like where y'all ride?

its a lot of single track, really tight i usually don't get out of third. most people run either trials or some type of hybrid tire. i run the shinko 505 cheater on my beta 350

• Like 1

suspension, suspension, suspension,

That's the next direction he's gonna go with. Spoke with Bruce about the front end build. With us being in Hawaii he just recommended we buy a new rear shock straight up due to the price we would pay for shipping parts and labor would equate to the amount of a new shock
  • Like 2

On 03/04/2017 at 1:46 PM, VortecCPI said:

One thing I learned while living in Buffalo, NY for 31 years is that narrow tires work great and wide tires are all but worthless in low-traction conditions like mud and snow.  Likely the same applies to bikes.  Less contact width means less area for the same weight and therefore greater pressure on the tire contact area.  Have a look at old footage of old cars with narrow tires and how they got through the mud.

Pressure = Force(Weight) / Area(Width) so less area equates to more pressure.

Those  model  t's were surprisingly  good  off road.Early drivers would  wrap a rope around  the tire ,through  the  spokes  for added traction . I have used that trick  on dualsport  bikes with smooth  tires to climb up some slippery  hills.

Edited by vulcanduro
  • Like 2

Back in the 80s when lifted trucks with big tires were all the rage drivers headed out into the snow and found right away the big wide tires were all but worthless in the snow.  They all ended up using narrow snow tires during the winter months.

I used four snow tires on my Chevy SS pickup with no additional weight in the back and it went through the snow like mad.  They were taller and narrower than the 275/50s I had on the truck for street duty so they worked great.  For a bike with less power like XR200/CRF230 I think 100/100 size is a better choice than 110/100.  In my case it definitely turned out to be a better choice.  It is also lighter and every pound helps.

• Like 4

Yep.The tall/heavy   pirelli  mt43  trials  hybrid  tire killed the acceleration  of my stock  xr250 . It hooked  up  too  much if that's possible . I found that the slight amount  of  wheelspin  from a smaller knobby  helped the mild machine  accelerate  more quickly  out of turns,revving  up sooner . 

The mt43  does work  great  on bikes with more power.Adds cushion  to the rear too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vulcanduro said:

Yep.The tall/heavy   pirelli  mt43  trials  hybrid  tire killed the acceleration  of my stock  xr250 . It hooked  up  too  much if that's possible . I found that the slight amount  of  wheelspin  from a smaller knobby  helped the mild machine  accelerate  more quickly  out of turns,revving  up sooner . 

The mt43  does work  great  on bikes with more power.Adds cushion  to the rear too.

You are Correct Vul. Here is why Mt43 not working on stock Xr250. They have no low end,you have to rev the piss out of it to go. On my Ex Xr300 with Mt43 perfect. On my 230/254stroker beyond perfect/ Riding partner on fully built Xr440 loves that tire also.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

You are Correct Vul. Here is why Mt43 not working on stock Xr250. They have no low end,you have to rev the piss out of it to go.

This is off topic and quite a tangent BTR but this has come up several other times.  We had two late-model XR250s in the garage for a long time and we found the two CRF230s made much more low-speed TQ than the two XR250s.  While the XR250s had snappy mid-to-top they lacked the low-mid grunt of the two-valve 230.  I have been called crazy for such a claim but that is honestly our findings.  We had to add four teeth to the rear sprocket of the XR250 to help with low-speed trail work.  Having had these two bikes in your pack what is your opinion as to the two engines?

I am NOT saying one is better than the other as I LOVE the XR250.  I am just saying we have found the 230 really out grunts the 250 down low.

• Like 1

Ok Vortec Bikes in my fleet  tested Stock 230s/ and 254/ Stock Xr250s /Xr 280s/300s/305 stroker. Yes stock for stock 230f more low end that stock Xr250. Our Xr300s Zillion mods. So much hit off Idle cannot control Wheel spin. On hill climb or hard slow trail.Means slip clutch to control big hit off Idle. What has more power my 230 254cc stroker/or Bore only Xr250 300cc. Hard to say Because my 254 stroker 15/48 gear/My Xr300 14/48 gear. Both run MT43s    Im sure the Xr300 more Hp then 230/254   for climbing. The good on the 230 super low to he ground,thinner bike/estart,but every bit as heavy as the xr250. Another thing to Note the bore only 300 more bottom end then 305 stroker.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

Ok Vortec Bikes in my fleet  tested Stock 230s/ and 254/ Stock Xr250s /Xr 280s/300s/305 stroker. Yes stock for stock 230f more low end that stock Xr250.

So we're either both crazy liars or we both had several 230s and 250s for back-to-back testing...

Thank you...

• Like 1