drz400s 2004 with an oil leak...buy or not?

Hi,

newbie to the forum so hi to all!

went to see a drz400s over the weekend as a first bike. It rides well, no fumes, suspension ,clutch, brakes and gears all ok. It has 10kmiles and is a 2004. My issue is that it has an oily right side and front side on the cylinderhead and even showed fresh oil on the(wiped..) top side after 200m riding..pictures attached.

Should i buy or walk away? Your opinion is appreciated!

Joris

WP_20170402_10_10_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20170402_10_10_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20170402_10_10_37_Pro.jpg

What is the price?

There are 2 breather hoses on the head that can seep oil over time. The cover also has seals around the 3 bolts what could leak also.

While the problem is minor and simple to fix, it shows a lack of attention by the seller and makes me question what other issues they are ignoring.

• Like 1

Fair point. He wants 3100USD for it and will include some extra tyres and a larger fuel tank.

Great! Thanks! Yeah i recon its worth a lot less than what he asks for. Basically its been ridden off road mostly and due to the age , bushings and rubber stuff starts to leak. I am only wondering if i will run into a bike that will eat a lot of cash straight away of if i could fix it with some TLC and good maintenance. Clean up the bike in small steps while riding so to speak. Any budget to put aside?

Ideally a good used bike purchase won't need a bunch of replacement parts. That said, the most commonly neglected parts that often require replacement on used dirt bikes are the chassis bearings and suspension components(fluids and bushings)

• Like 1

Agreed! Likely more issues that are under the radar now. Thanks for the inputs! Joris

• Like 1