I am having an awful time with my EXP 3.0.

I have a 2016 CRF450R. Since I have installed (and reinstalled many, many times) this clutch it seems to have never worked properly. When I first installed it all seemed to be well, including break in. Since then my bike began stalling. So a week or so ago I called (really good customer support by the way) and spoke with someone at Rekluse. He suggested I remove the red adjustment springs and install the blue, for a total of six blue adjustment springs. I did that, to no avail. I since have reinstalled the three red for a total of three blue and three red adjustment springs (just like it was shipped, "medium"). Lifter rod is seated properly.

My latest issue is this:

1) With the correct free play I pull in my clutch but WITHOUT releasing the clutch I give it gas and the bike starts moving as if I were releasing the clutch (which I am not).

2) So, I then increase free play but when I do this and (pulling in the clutch) shift into first gear, the bike lunges forward and stalls (as if I wasn't pulling in the clutch at all).

I have been in and out of this clutch so many times my head is spinning, and I simply don't know where to begin again. 

I ordered a new clutch cable just in case that is my problem. 

My configuration is as follows, in first to last disc:

Judder seat

Judder spring

Thin clutch disc (larger I.D.)

Steel drive

REKLUSE

Steel drive

Clutch disc

Steel drive

Clutch disc

Steel drive

Clutch disc

Steel drive

Clutch disc

All bolts are torqued to specs, oil is fresh.

Any reasonable suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

There shouldn't be any free play at the lever with the exp 3.0. If it drags with the clutch pulled in, I believe you need to tighten the cable more. The tension on the cable is what gives the exp room to disengage. If it worked before and started stalling now, the cable may have stretched and needs to be tightened.

• Like 1

"There shouldn't be any free play at the lever with the exp 3.0. If it drags with the clutch pulled in, I believe you need to tighten the cable more. The tension on the cable is what gives the exp room to disengage. If it worked before and started stalling now, the cable may have stretched and needs to be tightened."

Sorry about that, I should have included in the write up that the clutch cable (inline and perch) is completely maxed out and the bike is new, so the cable is new as well.

Edited by SteveInSpotsy
  • Like 1

With any freeplay in my 3.0 on my yz250 my clutch acts pretty much like the stock OE set up right down to being able to push start it.   I think I have a good 4 turns past "0" zero free play in it and it idles smoothely and pulls away.  The instructions that came with mine are quite good,  and the low end price Core is proving to be an asset to me. 

13 hours ago, Drewf said:

Did you figure this out?  I am about to install an EXP 3.0 on my bike.... 2016 CRF450R.

I have not. 

I am in contact with Rekluse but it always points back to an adjustment issue. I am going to try the set up without the judder seat/spring and see if that works, and remove the three red adjustment springs (from the unit itself) and replace them with the three blue which came with the kit. A rep at Rekluse suggested I do this, so I figure I will give that a whirl (along with removing the judder seat/spring from the set up).

I work long days and might not get to it until late this week/weekend, but I will let you know what happens. I really want this issue to be fixed because I am gettin really tired of having to break into this damn thing and not go riding (my bitch for the day!).

TT NEWBIE

isnt the reklluse suppose to go on the top of all the steel and friction disks?  your list shows it in the middle..?...   I an getting lots of chatter with my 13 cdrf450r, so Idaho Joe at rekluse suggested I order a new judder spring seat, judder spring and first friction disk.  But where do they go? do I put the judder seat and spring underneath the first steel disk? or between the  first steel disk and first friction disk???

7 minutes ago, Blueflagged said:

TT NEWBIE

isnt the reklluse suppose to go on the top of all the steel and friction disks?  your list shows it in the middle..?...   I an getting lots of chatter with my 13 cdrf450r, so Idaho Joe at rekluse suggested I order a new judder spring seat, judder spring and first friction disk.  But where do they go? do I put the judder seat and spring underneath the first steel disk? or between the  first steel disk and first friction disk???

Are you talking about the EXP 3.0? If so,

Check this out: https://rekluse.com/support-docs/NPDLC/1XX-XXX/198-XXX/198-6013 EXP Setup Sheet RMS6013/198-6013_Setup_Sheet_RMS-6013.pdf

And remember (at least on my '16) the first disc is thinner with a larger inside diameter than all the others.

TT,

Thanks for the quick reply!  That install sheet helps a lot. So the judder spring seat and judder spring set inside that first friction disk... that makes sense now! thanks.  I have the core exp 3.0  so now that I look at the 3.0 I see where the rekluse wedge disks set in the middle...

If you have the core EXP 3.0 ...that sheet is not correct.  I remember my disc being at the end of stack.

The most important thing is installing the pressure plate correctly.

I suspect you have things in wrong.

If you do have a lot of chatter you can re-install the judder which should get rid of it.  Or you can switch to adding another full size disc.

Let me find a video for you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xnLBxMbts

Fenmore,

Thanks for the input.  I do have the core exp 3.0  I had motion sports install the kit.  They have done several.  However from the time I picked the bike up, it had a lot of chatter.  So I called them back and they suggested I call  Idaho Joe at Rekluse.  Joe told me to install the judder seat, spring and replace that first disk.  So last night I did that.  Now I have no chatter!!  My bike wants to creep slightly when in gear at idle, but they say that is normal.  I'm hoping my problems are now fixed!!!

I'm new to thumper talk, but really appreciate the quick responses I get from this site.  Lots of educated folks here!

Thanks, Matt

Update:

Got back into the case, removed the Judder Seat and spring. Reinstalled all plates/discs per Rekluse setup sheet.

BUT, I installed a regular (neither too thick nor thin) washer on top of the Clutch Lifter. This gave me just enough (and a couple turns on the perch adjuster should I need them) for the proper freeplay/gain. Adjusted the idle and the bikes wants to move forward when I release the clutch, but can be stopped with my feet. In other words, good to go. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SteveInSpotsy said:

Update:

Got back into the case, removed the Judder Seat and spring. Reinstalled all plates/discs per Rekluse setup sheet.

BUT, I installed a regular (neither too thick nor thin) washer on top of the Clutch Lifter. This gave me just enough (and a couple turns on the perch adjuster should I need them) for the proper freeplay/gain. Adjusted the idle and the bikes wants to move forward when I release the clutch, but can be stopped with my feet. In other words, good to go. 

Still somethings not right...

The rpm drops enough you can hear it when in gear at rest,  but I have not had to hold it to keep it from moving on any of the surfaces that I have tried it on.  Adjust that way, I can actually tell neutral a little easier rocking it back and forth to start it.