What speedo do I get?

I just bought a 03 wr250f and I wanna put it on the road. Just trying to decide on either a trail tech endurance 2 or a baja designs analog speedo. The baja one plugs right into the odometer cable so it's nice and easy install. The digital one is twice the price but quite a bit nicer. I'm not totally sure how long I will keep the bike. Does anyone have any advice?

I have the trail tech, it's has a few nice features, some work well, others are in doubt (depending on the model). I ended up using an old phone with a GPS speedometer over the trail tech if that tells you anything.

any speedometer made for a21" wheel will work fine. or you can use your phone.

i use my phones for everything GPS, but stopped caring about speedometer functions years ago. 

• Like 1

Ya there was a recent topic abut adding an odometer and IMO same thing as a speedo and a GPS app or apps covers everything.

I as well use my phone/GPS app for everything with a bar mount (my complete set-up cost me $15) and I as well on my on my dirt bike I actually ride on the street, I'm not too worried about a speedo.

If I really wanted a nice size speedo to use on my phone real time, I'm sure I could find a free GPS enabled app.

I use an old dedicated android.

Here is my mount I made for $15 IMO works great and I like it mounted this way

20160515_102848.jpg

Then did a quick search and the are 100's of android speedo apps with old school, digital or combos.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=speedometer+app&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiigJbxvInTAhVE72MKHYUsCSEQ_AUIBigB&biw=1199&bih=624#imgrc=By5Unl8E1GDZ1M:

jYlxdAnZ5RanX1l-a5k4gA3g8NZUo8vPVvauOXgA

If you can use a phone mount, you ain't riding the places I do! 

The first hard off-road section tends to shake or break a phone or GPS on my KTMs. 

If price is important, look at bicycle speedometers. About $20, work fine up to 50-60 mph (check their max speed).  Some wireless units won't work near an engine so go with a wired type. 

I've had (and still do) the Trail Tech units. Usually fail from rain and sun. Mount any of them out of the sun if you can.

Edited by sbest

On 4/4/2017 at 6:13 AM, sbest said:

If you can use a phone mount, you ain't riding the places I do! 

The first hard off-road section tends to shake or break a phone or GPS on my KTMs. 

I realize everyone's perspective of what HARD OFF-ROAD can be different BUT one of the reasons I made the mount in my pic was that I couldn't find (after a lot of research) any ram type mount that I thought would work in the HARD-OFF-ROAD terrain I ride in British Columbia. The phone barely vibrates cus of the foam, it doesn't move when riding but I can easily adjusted it forward/backward if need or if I crash or it gets hit hard by branch's which I have done a number of times with this mount and IMO works great.

Just my 2 cents

Otherwise,I would be interested to see some hard off-road video from Nova Scotia :)

• Like 1

The foam sounds like a good idea.

I have to confess, I've only used store-bought mounts. My Garmin Etrex Legend would pound the battery connections flat, even when I switched to lightweight lithium batteries. This weeks ride was not very hard. Ice and mud everywhere. 50hp available, probably only using 5! The robins are here, but it ain't spring yet...

• Like 1

Ya one of the nice things about using my non activated phone for a GPS is I run it in airplane mode and it will run for about 48hrs straight without having to re-charge but I turn it off when not using and no battery cables.

We are about as far away as we can get living in Canada and we have had the first real winter in the PNW in 20 years. We just got spring and there are flocks of robins in my back yard feasting on worms :)

I was trying to be slightly Canadian/niceish :) BUT........

I did get at least a "I confess" but I would still like to see some HORNS.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

Ya one of the nice things about using my non activated phone for a GPS

How does that work? I am about to get a new phone, so I'll have one to dedicate for GPS.  I thought I'd need it activated to use it...

15 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

"Otherwise,I would be interested to see some hard off-road video from Nova Scotia emoji4.png"

This is pretty savage taunting by Canadian smack talking standards.

Well read dude!

All right, it is time to break out this video link again to explain Canadian etiquette to the rest of the world:

Out fer a rip are ya bud?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Joe DeLuca said:

How does that work? I am about to get a new phone, so I'll have one to dedicate for GPS.  I thought I'd need it activated to use it...

The GPS on your phone works whether or not you have service. Download and set up your app over wifi and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6 Riders said:

The GPS on your phone works whether or not you have service. Download and set up your app over wifi and you should be good to go.

Yep - I have 4 deactivated Samsung Rugby's that my boss gave me when we upgrade our work cell plan but one away to a fellow TT member and I'm keeping 2 as back ups.

IMO its in the pic of my mount and the Rugby's make great GPS's. With this phone, I can turn GPS/WIFI/AIRPLANE Mode on/off as needed. GPS always on, WIFI only if I want to update my GPS software and AIRPLANE mode always on and basically have all the software removed, apps turned off and have a 16G SD card installed for large off line topo maps.

On my current phone GPS is always on but I can turn of wifi/airplane mode etc.

The most import thing about using a non activated phone with out WIFI service as an actual GPS (IE mapping) you need to have good OFF-LINE base maps for the areas you ride. Otherwise if you just want a speedo or odometer it about as easy as it gets.

IMO this topic covers using a phone as an actual GPS (mapping) if you are interested.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/using-an-android-smart-phone-as-a-gps-r539

6 hours ago, sbest said:

Well read dude!

All right, it is time to break out this video link again to explain Canadian etiquette to the rest of the world:

Out fer a rip are ya bud?

Ya I bud, I've seen that before and it made me think that it  could be a vid the Trailer Park Boys would make if they were out fer a rip :)

And they have 11 million hits since 2013 :)

but I would still like to see some HORNS (Hard Off Road Nova Scotia) vids :)

And this is about 1-1/2 hours from my house and one of @Pittbull many vids from his McNutt thread.

Last summer BC

Edited by filterx

OMG I dont know what i'm more thankful for...the awesome info about using my phone, or that AMAZING vid!  Makes me want to go out for a rip, bud!!

• Like 2