Pheonix supercross or Daytona??? Need your reviews

Hi everyone...my crew and myself just got home from St Louis supercross and we are already wanting to plan the next one for next year lol....I've always wanted to go to Daytona to the races but also Pheonix. Can't do both so we will have to pick one! Everyone that's been to one of these cities to the races, please put your experience as we will have to fly to either one. We don't want to spend that kind of money and end up disappointed! Thanks!!!

I have gone to the Phoenix Supercross for so long I can't remember.  It's great but I would love to go to Daytona.  Daytona is one of a kind while Phoenix is pretty much the same as many other rounds.  

• Like 2

I've been to SF and Oakland.   Not much difference other than the stadium, which both were big outdoor stadiums.   Is the Phoenix stadium small?

Daytona is a mid-season MX race, so it will be different.   Plus, there is Daytona Bike Week.   I don't think Arizona has anything other than the SX race going on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kev_XR said:

I've been to SF and Oakland.   Not much difference other than the stadium, which both were big outdoor stadiums.   Is the Phoenix stadium small?

Daytona is a mid-season MX race, so it will be different.   Plus, there is Daytona Bike Week.   I don't think Arizona has anything other than the SX race going on.

The Phoenix stadium is arguably the nicest stadium in the NFL.  It is very large, nice and new.  I don't think there is a whole lot else going on that time of year in Phoenix but the weather is awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4Sevens said:

The Phoenix stadium is arguably the nicest stadium in the NFL.  It is very large, nice and new.  I don't think there is a whole lot else going on that time of year in Phoenix but the weather is awesome.

The Oakland and San Diego stadiums are so bad the teams left.   They really should leave the dirt in Qualcom and let the track go "native".

My daughter just had a knee operation and it was awesome having a handicap person along.

• Lot is full.   We have a handicap person.  OK, go on it.
  • Parking... right up front, just hang the handicap sign.
  • Long line for the elevator... Handicap!
  • Our view sucks.   Empty seats in the front row of the second deck.  Handicap reserved.

Now, I know why people were hiring handicap people for Disneyland.   So if a friend wrecks himself, see if he has the magic card and some crutches.  Then treat him/her to a race.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kev_XR said:

The Oakland and San Diego stadiums are so bad the teams left.   They really should leave the dirt in Qualcom and let the track go "native".

My daughter just had a knee operation and it was awesome having a handicap person along.

• Lot is full.   We have a handicap person.  OK, go on it.
  • Parking... right up front, just hang the handicap sign.
  • Long line for the elevator... Handicap!
  • Our view sucks.   Empty seats in the front row of the second deck.  Handicap reserved.

Now, I know why people were hiring handicap people for Disneyland.   So if a friend wrecks himself, see if he has the magic card and some crutches.  Then treat him/her to a race.

Yeah when I hurt my ankle we went to Disneyland.  It was awesome to bypass the lines.  The handicap parking pass was nice too.  Only good that came out of that injury, which still hurts now, 10 years later.

• Like 2

After going to Daytona I'll never go back to East Rutherford. Bring your own beer at Daytona. Don't bring a water bottle to N.J. there's a great vibe in Daytona. The only downfall is they are so late releasing the track map that picking seats is a crap shoot.

• Like 2

if you're bringing a bike with you, Phoenix is tough to beat. Ride tracks, ride the desert, whatever. The weather in February is beautiful, especially if you're coming from the snow. This year I sat with a family from Kalispell, Montana. They had a ball in Phoenix. The stadium is huge....

• Like 3

One of the things I like a lot about the phx supercross is that it is early in the season and the first race away from cal, so generally most of the guys are still racing and things are getting sorted out with everyone pushing to get solid finishes. If it was late in the schedule I dont know if it would be quite as good and likely be missing more guys. Also phx is generally a faster track with a little different dirt or clay and sand mix.

But it would be great to see a daytona race also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Budlite said:

if you're bringing a bike with you, Phoenix is tough to beat. Ride tracks, ride the desert, whatever. The weather in February is beautiful, especially if you're coming from the snow. This year I sat with a family from Kalispell, Montana. They had a ball in Phoenix. The stadium is huge....

One thing I haven't seen pointed out in this thread is the change of venue for the "Phoenix" round.

It went from Chase field which is downtown Phoenix, and still fairly big - a baseball stadium. To Glendale and into the Arizona Cardinals football field. Glendale is still part of the Phoenix metro area, but it's a few miles to the west of what's actually "Phoenix"

And the Glendale stadium is huge, remember the race? Pretty sure it had the longest lap times other than Daytona. We have a lot of space out here and the architects used it.

• Like 1

Phoenix does have a lot to do if you make a vacation out of it.  We have all the major sports teams, plenty of outdoor activities and as someone said, if you bring your bike there is tons of great riding.

• Like 1

On April 3, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Budlite said:

How is bike theft in the area?  I wouldn't leave a motorcycle in the back of a pickup while at the races.

Every year, it's a question of does a privateer team get ripped off in LA or Oakland.  This year someone hit the KTM JR trailer.

Just now, Kev_XR said:

How is bike theft in the area?  I wouldn't leave a motorcycle in the back of a pickup while at the races.

Every year, it's a question of does a privateer team get ripped off in LA or Oakland.  This year someone hit the KTM JR trailer.

I wouldn't say it's worse than normal.  Theft happens just about everywhere.  A lock is meant to keep an honest man honest.

• Like 1

never, ever leave a bike in the back of a pickup unattended.....ANYWHERE....no different here

• Like 1

We live in Tennessee and have been to St Louis and Atlanta. We want to change it up and are overdue for a plane ride lol! Daytona is slightly cheaper than Pheonix which is understandable because it's closer. St Louis is a great race if anyone is thinking of going. The dome is not in the ghetto like some places. Even though these races are around 10-11 months away we want to plan this trip as soon as we can where the prices won't be outrageous! Thanks everyone for your input. Ever since 2008 and the mud race they had I have been dead set on going there but also liked the Pheonix track this year!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Budlite said:

never, ever leave a bike in the back of a pickup unattended.....ANYWHERE....no different here

I've done it overnight but the bikes were locked up good and I parked in a very well lit spot in clear site.

6 hours ago, 4Sevens said:

I've done it overnight but the bikes were locked up good and I parked in a very well lit spot in clear site.

thats how bikes get stolen all the time...

There is a 24 hour accesss self storage place about 5 minutes from Daytona. If I remember correctly it's called "all aboard". I left my bike there for supercross Saturday then picked it up Sunday morning for qualifying and again Monday for the main events.

• Like 2