Need help on buying a used kx450.

I would like to be patient and find a nice kx450f for around the $3,300 or so. It looks like prices vary a lot I've seen 2010-2012 in that price range and then 2013-2014 go up to $4,000 and up. What kind of deals have you guys gotten in your 450s. I just don't want to jump the gun and over pay for a bike.

Thanks

you need to figure out, what model you want, i.e. difference between a 12 and 13 is huge... 13 is a great woods model, very tall 1. gear, it got the air fork, 12 model is power wise very nasty...

so read the tests...check the differences between the models..

probably biggest price differences are because of the hours.. be aware that at around 100 hours the engine needs a full topend rebuild... and if you don't know the exact history of the bike, rebuilt it before you ride it.. unless it looks like newish with low hours, or valves haven't been shimmed yet

also what accessories are on/with the bike.. ( that alone can make easy $1000-2000) diff for same model year with same hours..

you need to figure out, what model you want, i.e. difference between a 12 and 13 is huge... 13 is a great woods model, very tall 1. gear, it got the air fork, 12 model is power wise very nasty...
so read the tests...check the differences between the models..
probably biggest price differences are because of the hours.. be aware that at around 100 hours the engine needs a full topend rebuild... and if you don't know the exact history of the bike, rebuilt it before you ride it.. unless it looks like newish with low hours, or valves haven't been shimmed yet
also what accessories are on/with the bike.. ( that alone can make easy $1000-2000) diff for same model year with same hours..

Thanks for the info. Since this is my first 450, I'd like to stay in the 3k range which would be a 2010 or 2011 bike from what I have seen. I do know the 2012 does have a nasty powerband and that's not really what I need and unless I get lucky finding a 13. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into a newer 450 to find out the bike tires me out to much and I decide to go back to a fuel injected 250f.

I really don't see why everyone says the 12 has a "nasty power band" or whatever term is used to describe the engine characteristics. I went from a 2009 to a 2012 and I honestly can't tell a big difference between them. Take it for what it's worth but if I were you I'd never shy away from getting a 12 if you find a great deal.

I really don't see why everyone says the 12 has a "nasty power band" or whatever term is used to describe the engine characteristics. I went from a 2009 to a 2012 and I honestly can't tell a big difference between them. Take it for what it's worth but if I were you I'd never shy away from getting a 12 if you find a great deal.

Thanks. I may possibly have a 2010 in the works right now in trade for my 08 kx250f. If this doesn't work out I may keep my 250f this summer and try saving up for like a real clean 12 or up next year.