1983 XL600R: loking for advice

Hello everybody. I'm trying to keep back in shape an old 1983 XL600R. I changed a worn rocker and put the engine back on the chassis. Below you'll find a link to the video I posted on youtube. I don't like the thump of the engine, it sounds too metallic. It's also true that I'm not used to big thumpers, this is my fisrt one. Which may be the causes of that sound? I'm looking for your advice and opinions. Any information would be helpful.

IF done right,these sound like a sewing machine....not rattley like that...so you replaced 1 rocker arm??????  what about the cam which would be chewed to match???????

B

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brianhare said:

IF done right,these sound like a sewing machine....not rattley like that...so you replaced 1 rocker arm??????  what about the cam which would be chewed to match???????

B

The cam wasn't in such a bad condition, but I can be wrong. This is my first project and few experience on that. I replaced only 1 rocker arm, the worst one, because I found only one on cmsnl.com. Any suggestion?

9 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

The sound may just be overly loose valves clacking.

I adjusted the valve clearance as soon as the engine was back in the chassis. I'm going to check next saturday.

Sounds a bit like a loose/worn timing chain to me.  My father had a 1983 XL600R and the engine was very quiet.  Unlike my Yamaha SRX600 engine, the Honda 600 DOES sound like a sewing machine.  Also a much smoother engine than the Yamaha.

Edited by VortecCPI

6 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

Sounds a bit like a loose/worn timing chain to me.  My father had a 1983 XL600R and the engine was very quiet.  Unlike my Yamaha SRX600 engine, the Honda 600 DOES sound like a sewing machine.  Also a much smoother engine than the Yamaha.

Thanks for the link. I'm goin to read it. 

P.S.Are there any ways to check the timing chain tension without removing the engine? If I open the right crankcase cover?

Edited by Sacciochi
  • Like 1