Phantom issue with my 17 crf450 please help

I wanted to warm up the bike to drop the oil, I fired it up and it ran for about a minute and it shut off on its own. I tried to kick it over problaby a total of 50 or so times and not even a pop. Frustrated I left it alone till the next morning. I kicked it over and it fired up for about 3 seconds and stopped. It did not throw any codes. Kicked again a few dozen times and nothing. I went through every single connection point on the harness , cleaned and applied dielectric grease although they were all spotless and secure. Checked ground wires and plug wires, checked for spark which it had and  looked  very strong. I drained and replaced the fuel.  I didnt test the fuel pump but it sure smelled alot like raw fuel when kicking it over multiple times. Kicked it over a few dozen times and nothing. So I took it to my local bike mech. And of course when he went to  check stator output the damn thing fired first kick. He tried to get it to act up and nothing . It ran perfect. We put about four flawless hrs since then . Then all of a sudden today same thing happens again. My son is supposed to leave this thursday for three weeks

hit a few pro ams . I need to find problem before then. Has anyone had somthing similar happen with there 17 crf450?

Do you have a hour meter installed? Haven't had this issue on my 17 but when I had a Suzuki one time the hour meter would cause the bike not to start it fire once then once off I would kick and nothing, started playing with wires and for some odd reason if the hour meter wire touched or was close to another wire it would kill everything so we zipped tied it away from it.

It sure sounds to me like a loose ground but sounds like you checked that. How many hours? Do you filter your fuel? May be a clogged/contaminated fuel pump filter if you don't.

Found it. 

Pin hole in the kill switch button allowed water in and built up corrosion between circuits on the board. 

Unplugged the switch and bike fired up instantly. I cleaned up the corrosion and smothered the board with dielectric grease and its working fine now. New switch comming in 4 days.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mx 747 said:

Found it. 

Pin hole in the kill switch button allowed water in and built up corrosion between circuits on the board. 

Unplugged the switch and bike fired up instantly. I cleaned up the corrosion and smothered the board with dielectric grease and its working fine now. New switch comming in 4 days.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Good job, smart thinking to check the kill switch. Kill switch gets over looked alot.